Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

7541 - 7560 of 7597 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
1st weekend trip with our 2018 Sierra All Terrain Duramax and 30-foot Puma. I only got about 8 mpg but maybe if I back off the 80mph on the expressway I could do better
Towing any camper at 80 MPH is very foolish regardless of the rig.:cookoo[1]:

·
Registered
219 Posts
80 mph on 60 mph rated tires, good job:thumb
Not disagreeing with your thoughts on the speed being excessive for pulling a trailer, but they do make trailer tires with higher speed ratings than 60mph. For example, I have Goodyear Endurance radial trailer tires on mine. I believe they are speed rated “N” (87mph).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just realized I hadn’t posted a picture of my trailer yet. Nothing big, just a 7x16 v-nose I haul my bikes and ATVs in. I’ve used it for tent camping a few times on ATV trips. Tossed an air mattress and sleeping bag in it once the ATVs are unloaded. I’ve insulated it and wired it up for RV / generator connection. Also installed a rubber diamond plate floor and bed lined the ramp door. Nothing to fancy, but it was a fun project. I’m planning to step up to a toy hauler in the next couple of years.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Anyone have experience with Nu-Wa trailers? Looking at a 93 32' Champagne edition but not sure if they're a decent trailer or not. Everything is immaculate inside and looks like its never been used. Anyone have input on what I should look closer at?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Not disagreeing with your thoughts on the speed being excessive for pulling a trailer, but they do make trailer tires with higher speed ratings than 60mph. For example, I have Goodyear Endurance radial trailer tires on mine. I believe they are speed rated “N” (87mph).
I ‘ve been running those for 2.5 yrs.Many miles and now at 6/32”.
If tread started out thicker.......lol

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I just put some new tires on my 5er. They are speed rated m or 81 mph but I would have no problem running them up to 90 mph on occasion. That is strictly on the tire basis.

The speed rating is taken at the maximum load rating of the tire. It is related to how much the tire flexes with each revolution. I'm putting about 2,000 lbs on each tire but they are rated for 2,850 so they don't flex as much as they would under full load. That means that they don't heat as much either. Add that up and they can take a bit more speed.

I don't advocate exceeding the ratings of any tire any time but if you realize what they are all about you can fudge a little without putting your life on the line.

All that aside, I usually tow at 60 mph anyway because I can't afford to go any faster. I may let it build up a bit on a down hill but not for long. I don't want to find out where the handling limit is on my RV. I can't think that such an experience would be one you could talk about later, except to your dead friend and relatives.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here’s my Pace 8.5’x28’,(31’ to the nose) 7.5’ interior height. I have made 8 trips from Iowa to North Dakota.....1,280 miles round trip.

Attachments

Reactions: ChevyDMax89

·
Registered
240 Posts
September get away

View attachment 1046157 we snuck out the last week in September, before getting too busy at work. Went down to Canada's only desert- Osoyoos B.C.
Unfortunately, picked the wettest week they've had for a while. Still, was nice to have a quiet getaway for just the two of us!
The golf course has some interesting hazards in the rough and on some cart paths- didn't look for too many balls off the fairway!
Towed like a champ through the mountains until I was about an hour away from destination. Punched it to enter the highway on ramp, heard a big bang, no power! Coasted off road, no oil or a/freeze under truck, oil pressure and temps ok.
Popped the hood, found d/side intercooler pipe blown out of the blue hose by turbo. Being Saturday afternoon, no dealer open, but found a Lordco parts supply open who has a cooler tube (ACDELCO# 26265). bribed the store to send it out to my roadside location. Half an hour later, back on the road! 1200 kms later, still running strong! ( powertrain warranty expired end of July )

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
more pics

hit snow on way home, so I guess time to put trailer away for winter:frown2::crying:'dunno;

Attachments

·
Registered
689 Posts
Took the horses to the Amish tire shop this morning, got behind this guy towing a golf cart. As soon as he came into sight I saw smoke and thought he’d JUST NOW had a blowout so I backed off and gave him some room to pull over in the first available wide spot. I was even going to be nice and offer help when he stopped.....he just kept hammering like nothing was wrong. 50-55mph, smoke, asphalt dust flying everywhere. I followed him a good 5-6 miles like that before I turned off. Trailer was making a grinding/screeching noise that I could hear over my radio and exhaust several car lengths behind him so he HAD to have known he’d lost I tire I guess just didn’t give a shit :cookoo[1]:

7541 - 7560 of 7597 Posts