Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

7561 - 7580 of 7597 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
If it hadn’t been stolen from my driveway and torn apart, I’d still have that truck to this day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first tow with the new truck. Got a 47 Pontiac and a 38 Chevy. Pulled from Or back to Ca. Love that exhaust brake in the mountains. Highest pass was 5100'. Truck handled all like a dream. I didnt weigh it but believe around 10000lbs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
This happened on the way back from vacation a couple of weeks ago.
2019 Ranger RB190 Bay w/ Yamaha 115 Vmax SHO
Picked up my retirement present a little early. Figured I may as well start paying it off and enjoy it. Still need to add a power pole and a few extras.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Oh, ok, I'll come down out of my tree. And you're right, 30% isn't exactly impossible, but at 45k gross with a pickup, yeah, it ain't happening. And yeah, when you're talking pulling big loads, 10% will kill almost anything and each additional 1% is way tougher than the one before it. Can you say - exponential?

But carry on with the fish stories. I'll shut up! :)

p.s. I pulled a 40' Montana 5er out through the flint hills of KS today and gained speed all the way up the big hill with the slow truck lane on 400. No fishing! For real!
Ok guys, my bad and probable ignorance here. I was seriously not using a "45 degree equals 100 %" parameter. Using that standard you're correct, theres no way the Duramax pulls that dozer up a 30 degree slope. I was using a simple protractor and memory of the incline. However, I drive that hill about 4 times per week so the slope is fairly familiar. Only twice with the dozer but inumerable times with other heavy equipent as well as full 4-horse trailers. I have a digital clinometer and will shoot this hill in the next couple of days so I can put this debate out of my misery.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Ok guys, my bad and probable ignorance here. I was seriously not using a "45 degree equals 100 %" parameter. Using that standard you're correct, theres no way the Duramax pulls that dozer up a 30 degree slope. I was using a simple protractor and memory of the incline. However, I drive that hill about 4 times per week so the slope is fairly familiar. Only twice with the dozer but inumerable times with other heavy equipent as well as full 4-horse trailers. I have a digital clinometer and will shoot this hill in the next couple of days so I can put this debate out of my misery.
Don't bother. I think we all believe that it is a really steep hill. The exact incline isn't really the point. Our trucks are capable of amazing things with the right man behind the wheel.

By the way, somehow the quotes got mixed up. I never said that because I've never had a Montana trailer. It was blythkd1 who actually typed the text that was quoted. I think the forum software got confused.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I remember when I was a kid and my dad drove up a hill in our Ford Falcon that we often went sledding on. I was sure the car was going to tip over backwards. Today I go to the same hill, after years of riding dirt bikes, and it seems pretty shallow. Perspectives change.

And I see that the quotes are still getting misrepresented.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Don't bother. I think we all believe that it is a really steep hill. The exact incline isn't really the point. Our trucks are capable of amazing things with the right man behind the wheel.

By the way, somehow the quotes got mixed up. I never said that because I've never had a Montana trailer. It was blythkd1 who actually typed the text that was quoted. I think the forum software got confused.
Mr. Wizard,
Thanks for the pass but at this point it's for my own edification. Now I gotta know the degree of slope. And I have to agree, these trucks are amazing. Last week I pulled a 20' flatbed loaded full of euchalyptus rounds out from where the owner had loaded it without taking into account the uncompacted sandy loam soil and the minor detail that the trailer was facing perpendicular to the entry about 25 yardsoff the beaten path amongst euchalyptus and oak stumps and behind a couple of horse paddocks. The owner's Tundra couldn't even budge the trailer. It wasn't easy and I had to work at it for about an hour but the Duramaximus finally pulled that loaded trailer out of the wooly bushes. Incredible machine.

Reactions: mizterwizard

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Now I gotta know the degree of slope.
Old video....traffic is 10x worse now.

An example of some of the terrain I run with towing;
1:03
the spot where back in August, a mini van pulled out and hit/killed Cedric Benson (and GF) on his bike
...sad day

1:49....some decent BBQ on the left.
1:56....ar$eHole F150 cutting in at a stop (really hate that crap)

But anyway, on to 2:44 is Tumbleweed Hill....which is an example of a 10% (rise 1' for every 10' forward) gradient hill. It's a truck killer for sure.

30% gradient would be hard to imagine.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Old video....traffic is 10x worse now.

An example of some of the terrain I run with towing;
1:03
the spot where back in August, a mini van pulled out and hit/killed Cedric Benson (and GF) on his bike
...sad day

1:49....some decent BBQ on the left.
1:56....ar$eHole F150 cutting in at a stop (really hate that crap)

But anyway, on to 2:44 is Tumbleweed Hill....which is an example of a 10% (rise 1' for every 10' forward) gradient hill. It's a truck killer for sure.

30% gradient would be hard to imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG1TBWnPgHs
Where do you find the time?
Kinda reminds me of 65 coming into Branson, MO. Only there once lots of rolling hills, don't know what % they were.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
On the interstate the miximum design grade is 6%.

On the UPRR there is no main line steeper than 6% either because it takes too many locomotives to climb steeper. With distributed power like they use these days it is possible to have locomotives mixed in with the cars as often as necessary but with the cost of locomotives it becomes prohibitive to go any steeper.

City streets can be a lot steeper, like in San Francisco, but if there is any chance of snow it is not a good idea to go much steeper than 6%.

I lived in the LA area for a couple of years and when I first got there I noticed a lot of really steep driveways. I thought, "What do they do when it snows? Do they park at the bottom and walk up?" Of course if it ever did snow in LA the whole place would become a parking lot but it just doesn't happen. In SoCal they have 4X4 incase it rains.

Back roads are anybody's guess. Anything that gets you to your destination is good enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Towing a 5055D tractor on 20ft with 5ft dovetail gooseneck.

Attachments

Reactions: ChevyDMax89
7561 - 7580 of 7597 Posts