Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so sorry to ask this question but I haven't had to think of it for several years now, but I just can't get remember.

My tow vehicle is a 2011 3500 D/A CC SRW. We are thinking of moving to a larger 5th wheel trailer and I just can remember how to determine how much pin weight I can safely handle on my truck.

Can someone please help me please. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I think 30% of weight goes to truck.

How far are you going?

Stock everything?

2011 you'll be fine!

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
Can someone please help me please. Thanks in advance!
GVWR on the 5er @ 15% (non-toyhauler)
Truck pin weight limit, look to your rear tire weight ratings.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Hook em knows I look at it, ponder and roll!

I'm pulling mostly flats. I hate that drag!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Find the Carry Capacity on the driver's side door label, weight the truck, weigh everything you will put on the truck including fuel, people, hitch, stuff, dogs, etc. (or put it all in the truck when you weigh it), subtract total weight from the CC and that is the pin weigh you can support.

You will run out of CC before you run out of anything else. I bought a Sherline scale to weigh the pin but you can also go to the scale to find out what it really is. Assume any trailer pin weight given on labels or brochures is low especially once you start to load stuff in the front.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
You will run out of your trucks GVW well before you max out your pin weight.at least I did ..

·
Registered
445 Posts
You will run out of your trucks GVW well before you max out your pin weight.at least I did ..
I was the other way around with my 2500. By the time you add fuel, passengers, and your hitch, your pretty much only good to about a 12,000lb 5er or less based on the ratings of a 2500 (assuming 20% pin weight). If you want to base it on the weight rating of your tires you'll start talking higher numbers. My experience has always seen 20%-25% pin weight with a 5er. That's been what any 5th wheel RV that I have hauled has scaled at.

At the end of the day you're tire options are the same for a 3500SRW and a 2500. Your tires are always going to be the one thing that you definitely don't want to overload. The arse end of your truck is likely somewhere around 3300lbs with a hitch in the bed and some fuel in the tank. With stock sized E rated 10 Ply tire you'll be good for somewhere around 7000-7100lbs on the rear axle. So anything over 3500lbs pin weight will be maxing out your tires. By that point you'll have already far exceeded you're GVW, GCVWR, and Payload on your SRW.

OP.... What is the model of trailer in question? Or have you narrowed it down yet?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Define large - any trailer over a GVWR of 13,000 lbs and you will close to the truck GVWR.

My CAT scale numbers:
Gross Weight - 20,180 lbs - well within the CGVWR for towing a fifth wheel
Steer Axle - 4900 lbs - - Rating 5600 lb
Drive Axle - 6060 lbs - - rating is 7050 lbs Tires are rated 3525 lbs at 80 psi. Have a fare amount of margin.
Trailer Axle - 9220 lbs - - rating 10,400 lbs

Total weight is getting close to the GVWR of the truck - 11,600 lbs.

Trailer GVWR 12,380 lbs

Truck pulls the weight without any issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.