1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help

Need new tars. :rof

2008 2500HD, crew cab Z71.

We do a lot of off pavement driving hauling rigs to/ from trails on a 30' gooseneck. When not towing, the rig is used for work around a farm in soft soil as well as hauling on road also. I've been looking around for the last couple days and reading up on tire threads. I need an E range tire that can handle the weight as well as perform offroad and give us good mileage.

Nitto Muds? Toyo M/Ts? Or go less aggressive like a BFG A/T?

Or has this 'perfect' tire not been created yet?

Side question- Do the beefier lugs on a M/T make braking more difficult leading to premature wear?

Any help is appreciated and will be rewarded with beer. :drink

·
Registered
348 Posts
Some Mickey Thompson mtz or atz would be a very good choice

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'd go with nitto trail grapplers or mud grapplers, I got 35k out of mud grapplers in a 35" hauling a 4 Horse living quarters an that trailer was HEAVY fully loaded with horses, water, food, hay, etc an I towed 85% of my driving, just make sure to rotate em 2500-3000 with the mud grapplers

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
probably not an ideal tire for towing. would imagine less traction but i dont know for a fact. just a guess. they are noisy because they have spaced out treads. spaces in treads means less contact on hard surface and you get where im going with this. i could be wrong, just typing out loud brother. your rig, your choice.

·
Registered
95 Posts
probably not an ideal tire for towing. would imagine less traction but i dont know for a fact. just a guess. they are noisy because they have spaced out treads. spaces in treads means less contact on hard surface and you get where im going with this. i could be wrong, just typing out loud brother. your rig, your choice.
^x2 been there almost lost my truck and trailer and customers truck during a sudden down pour with the firestone m/t's on took three lanes up on the high way to get it to stop. last time i will ever have those tires.:eek:

·
Registered
345 Posts
BFG A/Ts only choice I would make. I have had several sets on different trucks over the last 20 years. Not 1 problem with any of them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
nitto trail grapplers, i pull 30k on mine. and they work great on the nasty stuff. i run 285-70-16 E on my dually.

·
Registered
991 Posts
If i was u, i WOULD NOT buy the toyo AT II. I have them. Not a fan. There alright for all on road, but i do touch dirt on occation, and they arnt much better than street tires lol. I like the toyo MT's. thats wat i would buy. Your truck your choice!

·
Registered
16 Posts
toyo mt last well on highway

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do NOT get Nitto Mud Grapplers. You're going to hate your life with the noise from them, and they aren't going to last that long. That being said, Nitto TRAIL grapplers would be a good choice, Toyo MT's, and Cooper STT's would be good mud tires that will last and give a pretty quiet ride.

·
Registered
662 Posts
i have a set of revo 2 on my lml my dad has them on his denali pick up 2nd on my moms tahoe and 2 on our suburban great all around tire had 3 sets of ko they sucked loud wore horrible didnt last long the revo do great plowing in snow compared to the ko great towing and in the sand all over a great tire im going to be getting a set of trail grapplers ot togo mt for summer to keep my revos in good shape for the winter and want something more aggressive for summer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Goodyear Dura Tracs....

I too was looking for a more agressive Load E tire...

I came across a Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac, I just haul haul a 10k gooesneck dump trailer, this is with a 2wd Duramax.

It is a more agressive than AT tire, but less voids than a MT tire...

It has sipes to handle the rain...I "thinks" it will work out fine.

Will keep you posted.

My 2cents...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've been looking at Pro Comp extreme at's reviews seem to be great. Had Nitto Terra's and slip on wet grass not a good off road tire.

·
it stinks and whistles :)
5,349 Posts
I've been looking at Pro Comp extreme at's reviews seem to be great. Had Nitto Terra's and slip on wet grass not a good off road tire.
My pro comps haven't let me down yet :thumb: they are a little on the loud side for an a/t but not as bad as an m/t

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
361 Posts
Toyo m55 good hard commercial tire and pretty decent off road and good mileage

·
Registered
53 Posts
Toyo M/T. Great tire on and off road. Mine are sipped.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would't consider the BFG's.I went through two sets of them,first load D's and then load E's and the tread literally evaporated off them when towing heavy.I also tried the Toyo M55 and they were better but still didn't last that long.A friend has had great results with the Toyo MT's,I haven't tried them myself as I have gone to a less aggressive tire to try to get them to last longer.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I tow/haul on a regular basis with Toyo MTs. I've had 3 sets of 35s and the current set of 37s. When the tires are new you have a little wandering due to the tall lugs but its something that goes away quickly.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts