Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2003 LB7 and am looking into a Hypertech E-con (MPG) and am doing a muffler delete, intake horn mod, and airbox mod. Its my daily driver and am looking to get the gas mileage up and the best results are on level 2 (94hp and 155lb-ft) I tow about a 9000# trailer around probably 40% of the time around my local area and over the pass like 10% of the time. Im worried about the trans slipping. Do you think it will be ok on level 2 around my local (halfway flat-ish county) and then I should put it on level 1 for the pass? or will it be ok on level 2 for all of it as long as I dont push it hard? Any help is VERY appreciated!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the edge J/A and tow on the race setting... 90HP 250lb-ft and I pull a 15,000lb fifth wheel and haven't slipped it yet... Keep in mind I really don't push my truck all that hard, and I have it set to de-fuel on all locked shifts too. I find I get better mileage.. I also watch the trans slip gauge very closely when i'm going up hills and when it shifts...

If you don't have a gauge to watch the trans slip I would be careful. But if you drive nice and don't drive it like a 16 year old you should be fine... I have been..

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I would be just as concerned with watching EGT's along with tranny slippage. I would suggest getting a pyrometer if you are going to tow with a tuner on. Its kept me from pushing a bit hard more than once.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be just as concerned with watching EGT's along with tranny slippage. I would suggest getting a pyrometer if you are going to tow with a tuner on. Its kept me from pushing a bit hard more than once.
Ya that's definitely a good idea. I'm ordering a set of Autometer boost an pyro gauges today. My buggest concern is how will I know if the trans is slipping? What does it feel like/sound like/do when you "limp" it? I don't know really what I'm feeling for?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
It will kind of shudder or bang and drop into third gear, and it will stay in third until you clear the check engine light. That's what mine has done in the past. And tranny temps will also give you a good indication if it is slipping.

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
My brother has an LLY with the Hypertech on it turned up to the highest damn setting and forgets about it. We both towed over passes in CO and he was fine the whole time. No limp, no overly high temps, etc. He tows on it daily and has yet to have any problems. I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on temps and use your head.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My brother has an LLY with the Hypertech on it turned up to the highest damn setting and forgets about it. We both towed over passes in CO and he was fine the whole time. No limp, no overly high temps, etc. He tows on it daily and has yet to have any problems. I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on temps and use your head.
Haha the only problem is is that mt head is always telling me to smoke that ford or dust that cummins! Lol next thing I know I'm at 85 over the pass! But I hear ya. The trans gauge shouldnt get over 165* right? Or is it 185*? (normal operating temp)

Thanks so much for the help guys!

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
Yeah, I was flyin past everyone on those passes like nothin. Shit was unreal, I was very impressed with my truck and I only have a shitty canned tuner.

If you're over normal operating temp for an extended period of time then you increase your chances of damage.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update Just hung up from Hypertech and apparently they design their tuners so that you can haul your GVW on any level. Just thought I would share that with someone who also didn't know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This was very helpful.. my dad often uses my truck, 2004 duramax hypertech stage 3, to pull his car trailer and i forget to tell him about the chip. but he hasnt noticed any problems so i guess it will be fine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts