Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you towing a camper with your LM2? If so, what kind of camper and what are you getting for mileage??
Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's a kodiak bumper pull with 2 slides. Probably around 8.5k loaded. What surprised me was the speed it held on hills despite the horsepower deficit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice to know
thanks

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Tows me 28ft camper just fine. Got 13 mpg doing it too, that's what my tundra got empty.
not really all that surprising given reports that the whole package power and tow ratings are underrated due to cooling package issues.. so given proper conditions it can tow way past its current placard ..

and like the 2020 L5P having more gears just like a big rig helps keep the engine in the meat eating band...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not happy at all with the fuel mileage from this Truck.
Background: I had a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel over the past 3 years. I purchased it primarily to pull a Toyhauler for my HD Ultra, now Yamaha V-star 1300 Deluxe. My avg fuel mileage logged over 8000 miles was between 15.5 - 17 mpg. I would still be driving the truck except for all the issues FCA has with the power train. I had an engine fire the year after purchase (used) @ 45000 miles while pulling a 4000 lb RV. 30 days later I get the truck back. FCA also retuned the engine due to EPA lawsuit that detuned the engine bad. I was able to find an aftermarket tune which restored the power and fuel economy it had prior. This summer in Reno NV the 8 spd tranny went out. After I got back I decided I had enough and leased a new Texas Edition 2lt 4x2 truck. I am pulling the same Forest River 22RR toyhauler @ 5700 lb loaded that I towed with my old Dodge. The worst mileage ever was 13.5 and that was my fault for leaving it in cruise control pulling hills. My return trip avg 15.5. My trip to Reno NV netted me 17mpg from Abilene.
So far I have towed the same trailer with the new Silverado twice ( 500 mile round and 450 round) covering the same roads that I pulled with the Ram. My best mileage so far is 13.8, my lowest is 11.3.
So how is it that the competition with a 5 year old truck with engine issues out performs the brand new shiny chevy diesel with more power and more gears? I purchased the vehicle for towing and expected at least the same mileage or better than the RAM. If Chevrolet can't fix this issue then it's back to driving a 2020 RAM Ecodiesel with the new motor.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'm not happy at all with the fuel mileage from this Truck.
Background: I had a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel over the past 3 years. I purchased it primarily to pull a Toyhauler for my HD Ultra, now Yamaha V-star 1300 Deluxe. My avg fuel mileage logged over 8000 miles was between 15.5 - 17 mpg. I would still be driving the truck except for all the issues FCA has with the power train. I had an engine fire the year after purchase (used) @ 45000 miles while pulling a 4000 lb RV. 30 days later I get the truck back. FCA also retuned the engine due to EPA lawsuit that detuned the engine bad. I was able to find an aftermarket tune which restored the power and fuel economy it had prior. This summer in Reno NV the 8 spd tranny went out. After I got back I decided I had enough and leased a new Texas Edition 2lt 4x2 truck. I am pulling the same Forest River 22RR toyhauler @ 5700 lb loaded that I towed with my old Dodge. The worst mileage ever was 13.5 and that was my fault for leaving it in cruise control pulling hills. My return trip avg 15.5. My trip to Reno NV netted me 17mpg from Abilene.
So far I have towed the same trailer with the new Silverado twice ( 500 mile round and 450 round) covering the same roads that I pulled with the Ram. My best mileage so far is 13.8, my lowest is 11.3.
So how is it that the competition with a 5 year old truck with engine issues out performs the brand new shiny chevy diesel with more power and more gears? I purchased the vehicle for towing and expected at least the same mileage or better than the RAM. If Chevrolet can't fix this issue then it's back to driving a 2020 RAM Ecodiesel with the new motor.

did the 2015 have a DPF, Diesel CAT, and DEF and required to meet the same 2020 Nox standards?

was the 2015 tuned when you got that mileage...

and to poke a bit.. has the silverado duramax caught fire while towing yet like your Dodge... ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
All stock, and yes, I had an engine fire @ 45,000 miles and the ZF80 transmission quit @ 68,500 miles while on vacation. I was running a tune from SKT but that just restored the power loss from the AEM. Even with all the power train issues with the Ram it's still a great performing engine (when it works) with excellent towing power and economy. I'm disappointed that with all the effort GM put into the I-6, it lags behind the gen2 Eco for towing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya I get 17 towing my 4k lb boat. Just got back from towing the new 4k lb camper and got 12 mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I pull a 27 ft bumper pull RV. 7,000 lbs, 4,000 mile trip.. 14 mpg with tail winds. 12 mpg with no wind or slight head winds. 11 mpg with stout head wind. Seamed effortless most of the time.
My Tundra got 8-10 mpg at 62 mph, with lots of straining and high rpms on hills.
2020 LT, 3.0 LM2, double cab, fiberglass shell on bed, 4x4, 275x60R/20 at 49 psi.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I tow a 5500 lb race car trailer with small car inside, my old LMM got 13 mpg towing the trailer regardless of conditions or speed. My LM2 can get just under 19 mpg when speed is kept at 60-65 which is hard to do. I normally tow at 70-75 (sometimes 80) and average 15.5 when doing so. The LM2 tows this small 20' trailer nicely, much more smoothly than the LMM towed, my only addition was a set of air bags to level the rear end. The LMM had a lot of power and torque, but the overall ride was horrible, loud , uncomfortable and was brutal after 4 or more hours. I am pleasantly surprised just how well this small 3L tows, I suspect it could easily tow more than advertised in the specs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I pull a 27 ft bumper pull RV. 7,000 lbs, 4,000 mile trip.. 14 mpg with tail winds. 12 mpg with no wind or slight head winds. 11 mpg with stout head wind. Seamed effortless most of the time.
My Tundra got 8-10 mpg at 62 mph, with lots of straining and high rpms on hills.
2020 LT, 3.0 LM2, double cab, fiberglass shell on bed, 4x4, 275x60R/20 at 49 psi.
Is that 7,000 lbs dry? or loaded? I am thinking about getting a 2020 GMC Sierra Denali, crew cab, 4x4, and concerned pulling a 7-7500 lb travel trailer across the country will suck since im getting close to the max towing capacity of 9k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are any of you towing a camper with your LM2? If so, what kind of camper and what are you getting for mileage??
Thanks
[/QUOTE
Thanks
Coming from a very nice and 2016 Silverado 4x4 with a 6 speed transmission tune by me with hp tunners... I am not very impress with the fuel mileage on the our new LM2 denali 4x4 (while towing) since it doing just a bit better than the old truck; but I do realize that there is a untap hidden potential and in it's bone stock form with the new 10 speed transmission it seems to perform far better when towing.
I tow a 18 foot camper 4k pounds about 14 mpg and a 21 foot boat 5k pounds about 15 mpg.
On different note Gm's new Trailering app is amazing and highly recommend getting that option it allows you to create profiles for different trailer saving brake settings, keeps mileage on each separate trailer and even fuel mileage while towing each trailer. Very well designed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m towing a large (37’) tt. Getting 11 mpg on my LT short bed. Right up real close to GCWR. Concerned that I may need a bigger truck. Got E rated tires and timbres SES. Using a Hensley hitch so there’s no sway, BUT you KNOW that trailer is back there. Any thoughts on this? Would Airbags make a difference? Truck hasn’t struggled to tow or stop in normal situations. It’s not a rocketship, but it’s not a dog either. Thoughts on this? Thinking if I keep it to do a Banks Derringer a Titan fuel tank (if and when they become available) and maybe airbags? Wondering about the 3.23 rear and if that’s a problem. What benefit to move to 3.42 or 3.73?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I’m towing a large (37’) tt. Getting 11 mpg on my LT short bed. Right up real close to GCWR. Concerned that I may need a bigger truck. Got E rated tires and timbres SES. Using a Hensley hitch so there’s no sway, BUT you KNOW that trailer is back there. Any thoughts on this? Would Airbags make a difference? Truck hasn’t struggled to tow or stop in normal situations. It’s not a rocketship, but it’s not a dog either. Thoughts on this? Thinking if I keep it to do a Banks Derringer a Titan fuel tank (if and when they become available) and maybe airbags? Wondering about the 3.23 rear and if that’s a problem. What benefit to move to 3.42 or 3.73?
I’d move to a different truck with a 37ft trailer.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts