Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I’m towing a large (37’) tt. Getting 11 mpg on my LT short bed. Right up real close to GCWR. Concerned that I may need a bigger truck. Got E rated tires and timbres SES. Using a Hensley hitch so there’s no sway, BUT you KNOW that trailer is back there. Any thoughts on this? Would Airbags make a difference? Truck hasn’t struggled to tow or stop in normal situations. It’s not a rocketship, but it’s not a dog either. Thoughts on this? Thinking if I keep it to do a Banks Derringer a Titan fuel tank (if and when they become available) and maybe airbags? Wondering about the 3.23 rear and if that’s a problem. What benefit to move to 3.42 or 3.73?
In the GM specs, the LM2 has the same GCWR (15,000) with 3.23 and 3.73 (which is available with the diesel off-road package) --- so diff ratio isn't what they consider the limiting factor.

Might also depend on how far and how often you tow as well as what kind of grades and traffic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm not happy at all with the fuel mileage from this Truck.
Background: I had a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel over the past 3 years. I purchased it primarily to pull a Toyhauler for my HD Ultra, now Yamaha V-star 1300 Deluxe. My avg fuel mileage logged over 8000 miles was between 15.5 - 17 mpg. I would still be driving the truck except for all the issues FCA has with the power train. I had an engine fire the year after purchase (used) @ 45000 miles while pulling a 4000 lb RV. 30 days later I get the truck back. FCA also retuned the engine due to EPA lawsuit that detuned the engine bad. I was able to find an aftermarket tune which restored the power and fuel economy it had prior. This summer in Reno NV the 8 spd tranny went out. After I got back I decided I had enough and leased a new Texas Edition 2lt 4x2 truck. I am pulling the same Forest River 22RR toyhauler @ 5700 lb loaded that I towed with my old Dodge. The worst mileage ever was 13.5 and that was my fault for leaving it in cruise control pulling hills. My return trip avg 15.5. My trip to Reno NV netted me 17mpg from Abilene.
So far I have towed the same trailer with the new Silverado twice ( 500 mile round and 450 round) covering the same roads that I pulled with the Ram. My best mileage so far is 13.8, my lowest is 11.3.
So how is it that the competition with a 5 year old truck with engine issues out performs the brand new shiny chevy diesel with more power and more gears? I purchased the vehicle for towing and expected at least the same mileage or better than the RAM. If Chevrolet can't fix this issue then it's back to driving a 2020 RAM Ecodiesel with the new motor.
Doubt that 2020 Ram gets better mileage towing, your comparing a truck that had illegal tuning to one that doesn’t.

·
Registered
126 Posts
somewhere between 17-19mpg.... Micro Minnie 2306BHS about 6K'ish.
Is this on flat ground or small hills? No head or side wind? I haven’t towed my 24ft Rockwood Utlralite with the new pickup yet. My usual driving conditions are in hills, wind and mountain passes, it would be amazing if I ended up at 13-15mpg but I’d be extra tic if it’s 17-19mpg. My old Nissan with a Cummins got 10-11mpg pulling the same trailer and my gas F250 was at 8mpg.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My old Nissan with a Cummins got 10-11mpg pulling the same trailer and my gas F250 was at 8mpg.
Hah! I just came over from a 17 Titan XD as well (and would probably be still driving it if Nissan hadn’t given up on it) I’ll be pulling my 22’ fiberglass 5K 5th wheel and am hoping for 13+....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Doubt that 2020 Ram gets better mileage towing, your comparing a truck that had illegal tuning to one that doesn’t.
Actually my tune wasn't a deleted tune. It just restored the power lost when FCA detuned the engine due to the EPA lawsuit. Horrible lag and towing was a joke compared to the original FCA tune. When I first purchased the used 2015 Lonestar 4x2 I could pull my Wolf Pup toyhauler (4500 lbs loaded) in 8th gear and avg 15 - 18 mpg. Post AEM tune...about a 4 sec delay in acceleration from start and constant shifts between 6th & 7th gear towing the same trailer.
With the SKT tune; no more turbo lag and they improved the shifts keeping rpm @ 2000.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Actually my tune wasn't a deleted tune. It just restored the power lost when FCA detuned the engine due to the EPA lawsuit. Horrible lag and towing was a joke compared to the original FCA tune. When I first purchased the used 2015 Lonestar 4x2 I could pull my Wolf Pup toyhauler (4500 lbs loaded) in 8th gear and avg 15 - 18 mpg. Post AEM tune...about a 4 sec delay in acceleration from start and constant shifts between 6th & 7th gear towing the same trailer.
With the SKT tune; no more turbo lag and they improved the shifts keeping rpm @ 2000.
Yeah what I meant was the factory tuning was illegal and then once it was fixed it sucked, then you tuned it back to the original factory performance that was based on the illegal factory tune.

FLT has a good mpg video of the Ram vs a Chevy, Chevy beat it both in towing and unloaded mpg.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just got back from pulling my 4500 lb 5th wheel on a 350 mile jaunt with the LM2. Pulled great (Andersen Ultimate hitch on a B&W gooseneck ball) and the mileage turned out to be a surprising 18.8. Trucks only got 3400 miles on it so far, so I’m hoping the usual diesel loosening will even improve this. In the hill country of central TX, so it was downshifting for hills. 70 mph top speed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is this on flat ground or small hills? No head or side wind? I haven’t towed my 24ft Rockwood Utlralite with the new pickup yet. My usual driving conditions are in hills, wind and mountain passes, it would be amazing if I ended up at 13-15mpg but I’d be extra tic if it’s 17-19mpg. My old Nissan with a Cummins got 10-11mpg pulling the same trailer and my gas F250 was at 8mpg.
In hills this past weekend 11.8MPG 220 round trip..

·
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
1,658 Posts
Just got back from pulling my 4500 lb 5th wheel on a 350 mile jaunt with the LM2. Pulled great (Andersen Ultimate hitch on a B&W gooseneck ball) and the mileage turned out to be a surprising 18.8. Trucks only got 3400 miles on it so far, so I’m hoping the usual diesel loosening will even improve this. In the hill country of central TX, so it was downshifting for hills. 70 mph top speed.
This is insane to me. You'll have to forgive me for saying I can't believe this, because I really struggle to believe it. That's incredible mileage for towing a 5er.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
This is insane to me. You'll have to forgive me for saying I can't believe this, because I really struggle to believe it. That's incredible mileage for towing a 5er.
ITS TRUE, I can get over 20 mpg towing my small enclosed race car trailer (5100 lbs loaded), if I keep my foot out of it and do 65 mph. On really hilly roads such as thru Pennsylvania I still get 18 mpg. If I decide to really hustle and do 75-80 the mileage will drop down substantially to around 14.5. The key is that the 10 speed trans seems to keep that little motor right in the best RPM range.

When not towing on a recent trip from NY to Florida I got an average mpg of 28.8 mpg and several times over 30 mpg. This is my calc with paper and pencils, not the truck computer. I was getting over 600 miles per tank (689 on one tank down in Florida).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Towed my camper which isn’t super heavy, loaded up it’s around 6500lbs, got 11.4mpg and no big hills but constant up and down.

Towing my utility trailer with my utv I’m getting almost 15mpg.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
In hills this past weekend 11.8MPG 220 round trip..
Towed my camper which isn’t super heavy, loaded up it’s around 6500lbs, got 11.4mpg and no big hills but constant up and down.

Towing my utility trailer with my utv I’m getting almost 15mpg.
Those are definitely believable numbers and still pretty good. Thanks for posting them.

Yeah. Unless the second law of thermodynamics stopped being "a thing" momentarily the 15-18 MPG numbers at ~65 MPH with campers seem impossible, especially when the TFL guys are getting 11-12 MPG with a V-nose. I'm not saying anyone's being deliberately misleading but maybe their tanks didn't fill all the way up after the trip or something.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just checked again, 87 of those 350 or so miles were NOT pulling a trailer, so there was some non towing driving. So maybe the truck only got in the 16’s towing, I’ll take it. I’m heading from here to NM, CO, UT, ID, MT, WY, NE and back home with the 5th wheel this summer. We’ll get some more answers then....

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Chevrolet 1500 Z-71/LTZ LM2
3 Posts
FordT what brand of 5th wheel is that ?

·
Registered
2021 High Country 3.0
26 Posts
How do you like your 5er? Didn't realize B&W made a gooseneck hitch for 1500s.

·
Registered
64 Posts
FordT what brand of 5th wheel is that ?
Escape Trailer industries 5.0 TA 5th wheel. It’s a 2014 I bought used in 2016. It’s a great company but getting one WITHOUT getting in line and getting one built for you is tough....used ones get snapped up quick and I was lucky to find this one from the original owner.

·
Registered
64 Posts
How do you like your 5er? Didn't realize B&W made a gooseneck hitch for 1500s.
I love it, perfect for 2 (with a pup)! The B&W keeps that (too short!) bed clear and the Andersen hitch comes out with one hand at 35 lbs. Now I just need to see if a set of Airlift airbags with bolt on with the B&W set up without too much hassle/drilling. I’d like to get the little bit of squat (1.5”) out of it when hooked up! The Escape makes a month long or so trip usually twice a year...

·
Registered
2021 High Country 3.0
26 Posts
I love it, perfect for 2 (with a pup)! The B&W keeps that (too short!) bed clear and the Andersen hitch comes out with one hand at 35 lbs. Now I just need to see if a set of Airlift airbags with bolt on with the B&W set up without too much hassle/drilling. I’d like to get the little bit of squat (1.5”) out of it when hooked up! The Escape makes a month long or so trip usually twice a year...
Glad to hear you're enjoying your Escape. My wife and I had a 36' Grand Design 5er until early this year. When we couldn't get reservations at our favorite RV resorts we gave up on camping and sold both the camper and dually. We're hoping to get back into it in a few years when the camping craze lets up. We'll be looking for something smaller to pull with our 2021 Silverado Babymax when that time comes. We'll be looking at an Escape or a smaller GDRV.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts