Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I currently own a 2014 2500HD lml w/6.6 Motor. We are looking at a new toy hauler, however i am not sure if I can pull/tow this trailer. Dry Weight 14,440, Hitch Weight 3620, Length 42'. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi All,

I currently own a 2014 2500HD lml w/6.6 Motor. We are looking at a new toy hauler, however i am not sure if I can pull/tow this trailer. Dry Weight 14,440, Hitch Weight 3620, Length 42'. Any help would be appreciated.
1. It will tow it, no doubt.
2. Stopping is more of a concern than actually the ability to tow it, something people don't think of when shopping for larger trailers.
3. Another problem you run into is exceeding GVWR by the time you load the vehicle and trailer up for the weekend; with the hitch weight of 3620 you will exceed the sticker GVWR by the time you bodies in the vehicle and load your bed with misc stuff. This can be offset by upgrading tires and such to help increase towing capacity.

These are just some things off the top of my head for you to take into account. Granted I do not tow a trailer this large, so I will that feedback for those who have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was also worried about stopping. Have been looking at air suspension upgrades too. Its a rather large rig for my needs but the wife really likes it, so....

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You can do it the truck is capable but if you ever have an accident and get sued you will be in big trouble .

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Hi All,

Let me put this in perspective for you. I have scaled my rig so these weights are accurate.

My camper weighs 14,500 (triple axle) with everything loaded for camping with both the fresh water and black/gray tanks empty.

Pin weight = 2,750.

Length = 40'

Overall gross weight including full fuel tank ready to go = 22,500.

This is a load for my dually but pulls and stops everything without issue. No way would I ever hook my camper up to a 2500. From my experience, too much can go wrong pulling that amount of weight on a SRW truck.

Can your truck pull the camper? Sure.
Can your truck safely stop the rig in an emergency stop? Maybe.
Can you safely stop the rig with a blow out on one of the truck rears? Doubtful.

All of this having been said, if I were in your shoes, my biggest concern would be the pin weight on a 2500. 3620 lbs is a LOAD. Don't know how you can legally load that much pin weight on a 2500.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would pass on that trailer or get more details. You couldn’t even fill it up with ping pong balls and not be overweight.
The pin weight takes the weight from the axles. So 14,440-3,620 gives dry weight sitting on axles of 10,820. This leaves 3,180 remaining payload for the trailer. Believe I have this correct. The pin weight is around 20% for most 5th wheels.

I do agree to much for a 2500. I would stay at a pin weight of 2500 and lower. So around a 12,500 gvwr trailer max.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Before you buy the trailer scale your truck with full fuel and people that go camping with you. Add the drive axle to the pin weight plus the weight of the hitch and any other cargo you carry in the bed. Compare to the load rating of the rear tires and I bet you are over the tire ratings. Safe tire loading is non-negotiable.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think the general consensus of the posts so far is that you'll be overloaded and I agree with that. You'll definitely be over the truck GVWR and possibly the load rating for the rear axle. As mentioned, adequate braking is another consideration. Please don't go through with the purchase of this trailer for the truck you have. If the dealer has any regard for your safety they won't sell it to you.

A suggestion for you: get familiar with the weight terms that go into determining whether a truck and trailer are a good towing match. Terms like GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating), GRAWR (Gross Rear Axle Weight Rating), etc. Your owners manual should give you the specific limits for your truck and its' features (e.g. axle ratio, cab style, long bed/short bed, etc.). The more informed you are the better you can determine what truck/trailer combinations work.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
If you decide to buy that trailer, you might seriously consider trading in your 2500 and buying a 3500HD dually.
If you want to keep the truck you seriously need to consider buying a much smaller trailer.
Maybe something in the 32’-35 toyhauler with a max loaded trailer weight of about 13,000 - 13,500lbs would be way safer for you, your family and everyone else on the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! I actaully reconsidered this purchase shortly after i drive away from the RV lot. I was just a little hung up on how these 250’s and 2500’s i seen last weekend pulling toy haulers where getting away with it. Those rigs where the same size are larger. I am guessing most are weekend worriors and take short trips.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
132 Posts
For comparison my 2011 2500 EXT cab short bed with a B&W goose neck hitch has 3200lb of weight on the rear axle with a full tank of fuel and myself in it. Last year we bought a new horse trailer that has about 3800lbs of pin weight. I upgraded to tires with a weight rating of 4080lbs each. The truck already had air bags. I towed the new trailer all last year with no issues, but upgraded to a dually in January. There just wasn't enough margin of error for me with the 2500, not to mention any legal issues if ever stopped by DOT.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Good thing you asked on this forum . I've seen the same questions get asked on an RV forum and people get completely chastised and roasted for asking . The weight police is a real thing on those forums .lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2500/3500 SRW trucks are the same...same brakes, axle, bearings everything except the spring pack, wheels, tires. And the all important door sticker. But you need a dually if you want to be legal and safe. Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
One thing to remember is that although the 2500 and 3500 "are the same" the magic sticker on the door frame tells a different story. AND that sticker is what law enforcement and any court will be looking at/referring to if something goes wrong.

Do people pull these large trailers with 250s / 2500s all the time? Yes. Do they do this on a regular basis? Yes. Do they get away with it? Yes. If they have an accident or get stopped by the highway patrol are they in trouble? Most likely.

Also remember that while adding spring load boosters, air bags, etc to a 2500 can make it handle loads better, the magic sticker doesn't change, nor do the laws regarding overloaded vehicles change.

It's your choice and your gamble.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2014 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax XLE crew cab and it would barely pull that RV. My max hitch weight is about 3050 LBS, and max trailer weight at 15,500 LBS loaded. You will be able to pull it but not very safely. Your RV will be over weight legally. MY current RV dry is 13,000 LBS with a hitch weight of 2900 pounds. I have had Exhaust Gas Temperature issues at this weight on steep grades. I installed an extra large heavy duty Aluminum intercooler the biggest I could find, a Tuner from Edge Technologies, and a Show Performance stage 3 ethanol injection system. I also installed rear air bags to help with the RV weight issue. I now feel very confident I can handle the RV comfortably.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I run from NY to Fla and back several times annually.
'18 2500 Denali, upgraded tires to 285-20 for the weight capacity, and added air bags but only run 25psi.

Trailer is 16400 loaded weight, pin is 2900, gross combined is 24040# at last scale. Very capable tow rig, with the correct mods to accommodate the weight. Must keep the tire within its range.

My next tow rig will be a 3500, but still single wheel short box.

The only thing you gain is the tires on a dually, and actually loose a little of braking in that the rotor diameter is smaller.

And yes the weight police on the RV forums say I'm a death threat on the road, not even close. What is more of a hazard is the volume of people that may have a dually but have no clue how to drive carrying that much weight. :)

Since these pictures were taken I have reconfigured the hitch, and lowered the trailer nose for even flatter towing

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts