Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

I currently own a 2014 2500HD lml w/6.6 Motor. We are looking at a new toy hauler, however i am not sure if I can pull/tow this trailer. Dry Weight 14,440, Hitch Weight 3620, Length 42'. Any help would be appreciated.
Too much trailer for your truck to be safe in; consider something a little smaller or upgrade your truck. I have a 2005 K3500 DRW Duramax and 5 speed Allison with an 11,400 GVWR and bought in 2015 a 38' Montana 16,000 GVWR and a (dry) hitch weight of 2900lbs. I knew at the time it was too much trailer however my wife wanted it and we agreed that we would upgrade the truck. So we finally upgraded a few months ago to a 2010 Freightliner Business Class 19,500 GVWR. More truck than we needed, but it's all the truck we'll ever need even if we decide to go to a bigger 5th wheel. Besides with the cost of new trucks, and registration and insurance (CA) the Freightliner was a much better deal (59,800 miles) and has been very well taken care of. Yes more costly for repairs but the 6.7 Cummins and Eaton/Fuller 6 speed A/T are good for around 300,000 miles.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
I often wondered if any of you overweight ever got pulled over and taken to a set of scales, if the dot would even consider all the upgrading you’ve done to your trucks would let you slip by without giving you a huge over weight ticket.

Worse case if you ever was in a accident who would be automatically charged at fault.
But that’s your life and your risk, hopefully we’re never traveling on the same highway at the same time.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Funny how we chastise the RV guy but let the landscape guy off with a full bed salt spreader and 9 ft plow and he's driving in worse conditions. I have yet to ever see a case showing someone guilty of overweight in an accident yet we continue to use that as the staple. IF your shit is strewn all over the HWY how do you scale the truck and trailer, they have no idea how it was loaded. And yes I know there is a limit tot eh weight but trailers have brakes also. And that said I am in the gathering of parts to turn my SRW into a DRW. AND BTW my Door sticker is nonexistent and was never there when I bought the truck
Just saying.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Probably because the landscape guy is not bragging on much over weight he is with his vehicle.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Funny how we chastise the RV guy but let the landscape guy off with a full bed salt spreader and 9 ft plow and he's driving in worse conditions. I have yet to ever see a case showing someone guilty of overweight in an accident yet we continue to use that as the staple. IF your shit is strewn all over the HWY how do you scale the truck and trailer, they have no idea how it was loaded. And yes I know there is a limit tot eh weight but trailers have brakes also. And that said I am in the gathering of parts to turn my SRW into a DRW. AND BTW my Door sticker is nonexistent and was never there when I bought the truck
Just saying.
If something was ever to happen, you not having a door sticker your modifications SRW to DRW won't mean squat, even not having a door sticker, they'll go by the vin number.
This will tell them what the limits was from the factory, nothing you do will mean anything to the scale masters and ticket writers, only to you this will mean anything.

I don't feel its chastising any one, info like this is for the ones that don't know any better and really cares about being safe as possible for them, their family and others around them, the ones that don't care about being safe, well your on your own.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If something was ever to happen, you not having a door sticker your modifications SRW to DRW won't mean squat, even not having a door sticker, they'll go by the vin number.
This will tell them what the limits was from the factory, nothing you do will mean anything to the scale masters and ticket writers, only to you this will mean anything.

I don't feel its chastising any one, info like this is for the ones that don't know any better and really cares about being safe as possible for them, their family and others around them, the ones that don't care about being safe, well your on your own.
I don't need a sticker right now, and when I am done the truck will be listed as a 1 ton. You have to pay for an upfitter to re register the truck but is cheaper than buying a new truck in my case. For a non commercial vehicle I have still never seen a case of death and or law suit.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
I don't need a sticker right now, and when I am done the truck will be listed as a 1 ton. You have to pay for an upfitter to re register the truck but is cheaper than buying a new truck in my case. For a non commercial vehicle I have still never seen a case of death and or law suit.
:thumb

·
Registered
160 Posts
I pull a fifth wheel and weigh out at 19000 lbs. My gross weight maximum is either 22500 or 23500 with 2500hd long bed extended cab. I have no problems with towing it. No air bags . Just make sure you keep your trailer brakes adjusted.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an '11 2500 CCSB 4x4 LML and I pull a 7,800# GVW travel trailer as well as 2 motorcycles, firewood, fuel etc in the bed (roughly 1,000#). I have Timbren SES's in the rear and use a WD hitch. The truck sits level with the Timbrens and WD hitch adjusted. Zero problems pulling this set up in the steep mountains where I live and it's no where near the max weight/tow ratings as per GM's specs.

I am also planning to buy a 450# UTV deck to put a 1,700# UTV on top of the truck with and to pull the 7,800# trailer at the same time. This set up may put the GVWR of the truck over limit by several hundred pounds, but the overall GCWR of the loaded truck and trailer at roughly 18,082# will still be 6,418# below the max 24,500# that GM rates the truck at for the model year.

I called my insurance agent to clarify what my auto insurance covers if God forbid an accident happens. He stated that even if I was grossly over loaded (which I don't plan to be) the insurance company would still cover the liability all the same. In terms of the state patrol in Washington State, what matters is what tonnage the vehicle is registered for, not the door sticker or Vin number specs from GM.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
While it's bad enough to be towing a 14K 5th wheel with a 2500.
How many have seen that + another trailer behind?
What do they call them in Canada B trains just doubles over here, in big rig speak.

·
Registered
28 Posts
At risk of a broken record in this string, you would be way over the rated capacities of your truck. Your ability to manage a panic stop, sudden swerve, blown tire, etc. would be pretty tough as well as the liability of running illegally.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
That’s where the old saying “NO FEAR” comes in, at least until something bad happens and they get busted for overweight possibly leading to a accident maybe even something worse.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Just saying.
GO troll the RV Forum. My shits not overweight. I was stating the issue the truck has and The dealer has been no help in getting the Vin weight tag.

·
Registered
28 Posts
All good points within this string although we seem to have strayed a bit from the original question. We all likely tow in a manner someone would disagree with although at the end of the day, everyone needs to be comfortable they can safely make it down the highway.

For what it's worth; I do have an acquaintance who was involved in an accident while pulling a RV and he did tell me the first thing the State trooper investigating wanted to know was the ratings / specs of the tow vehicle and RV.

Wishing all safe travels!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts