Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, I purchased the tp 3018 at the dealer to day, (had coupon) when i looked at the filter i realized that I could see straight through the thing. There was no "plate" or something to seal off the bottom of the second stage so the fuel would have to pass through it vs by passing it.

Question is did I get at defective filter or is this the "new" design . If so it seams to defeat the purpose of a filter.

Guys I need your thoughts, gut says it a defective filter. Please chime in.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
"Tp3018 Chevy/GMC 6.6 Liter Duramax Diesel Updated Fuel Filter-12664429 (updated TP3012). This filter replaces the TP3012 as of September 2014. They updated the internal structure for the mfg process".

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
"Tp3018 Chevy/GMC 6.6 Liter Duramax Diesel Updated Fuel Filter-12664429 (updated TP3012). This filter replaces the TP3012 as of September 2014. They updated the internal structure for the mfg process".
I wonder if Racor changed the internal structure of the PFF50216??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I do not know about the 50216, the dmax store has them still listed of which I orderd 3. I returned the "new" delco filter. Not comfortable with a filter that I can see through on the last stage. From what I could see the internals look like a baldwin just missing the bottom plate to seal the last stage

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I do not know about the 50216, the dmax store has them still listed of which I orderd 3. I returned the "new" delco filter. Not comfortable with a filter that I can see through on the last stage. From what I could see the internals look like a baldwin just missing the bottom plate to seal the last stage
The Baldwin BF9882 is a two stage filter just like the Racor and the Baldwin has better specs than the Racor as well. Racor 4 [email protected]%, Baldwin 4 [email protected]%. IMHO, It doesn't really doesn't matter what a filter looks like inside or where it's made. All that matters is does it live up to it's spec and do the job it's designed/built to do.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Let me restate my question. Is it normal to be able to see through the durmax fuel filter, or is it a manufacturing defect.
I don't know if that's normal on the TP3018 but if you're in doubt see if you can find some other TP3018's or even a TP3012, if there are any around, and compare. There is a lot of R&D work that goes in to designing a filter and just because one doesn't look like all the others doesn't mean it's not a good filter. The inside of the Baldwin BF9882 looks nothing like the inside of the TP3012 but it is still a dual layer like the TP3012 and has better efficiency. That being said, maybe it's normal for you to be able to see through the TP3018, however I haven't looked inside one so I cannot make a comment on whether that's normal or not..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Per the parts guy, all of the tp3018 were the same. Able to see through the filter. I even took a pff 50216 I keep in the back seat to show him the difference. He agreed that there was a differance. Though acted like he didn't care. I guess when I use up my current stash I'll be ordering the nicktane adapter and start running a Donaldson fuel filter.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Per the parts guy, all of the tp3018 were the same. Able to see through the filter. I even took a pff 50216 I keep in the back seat to show him the difference. He agreed that there was a differance. Though acted like he didn't care. I guess when I use up my current stash I'll be ordering the nicktane adapter and start running a Donaldson fuel filter.
If you don't like the TP3018 then you should save your money for the adapter and use the Racor PFF50216 or the Baldwin BF9882. IMHO, either would be a better option than going to the adapter and the Donaldson. Can you supply us with a picture of the TP3018 filter. I'd like to see what you mean by see through...

Reactions: stanleyrock

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've returned the filter already. However the best way to describe it would be, to look in the filter where the wif sensor screws in. You can see straight though the hole where the big thick rubber seal is in the center of the filter. I could see the parts guy through the hole.

Instead of spending the $ on the adepter, I agree the using a Baldwin or Donaldson filter would be a cheaper and smarter route to go. Ive been checking on the Donaldson p 550883 filter. Seams to be a a good filter or a racor clone. Either one is obtainable where im at.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
I've returned the filter already. However the best way to describe it would be, to look in the filter where the wif sensor screws in. You can see straight though the hole where the big thick rubber seal is in the center of the filter. I could see the parts guy through the hole.

Instead of spending the $ on the adepter, I agree the using a Baldwin or Donaldson filter would be a cheaper and smarter route to go. Ive been checking on the Donaldson p 550883 filter. Seams to be a a good filter or a racor clone. Either one is obtainable where im at.

Sounds like the VatoZone that was on my truck when I purchased it several years ago. Read the thread at DP I have two Racor/Parker filters to go so AcDelco is out of the picture....

Delco Fuel Filters TP3012 vs. TP3018 ? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

"TP3012 has been discontinued and replaced with TP3018. The change involves a minor internal part geometry change to aid in manufacturing. The performance, fit, function, etc. of the filter will not be affected. GM is instituting a part number change simply because the geometry of a component is changing. I don't think you will be able to tell the TP3012 apart from the TP3018 without cutting them open and taking them apart."
Here is the engineering change...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your thread is exactly what Im talking about. Being able to see through the filter. I had contacted dmaxstore and they confirmed that what they were sending me was pff55216 he said he could not see day light going through filter. Ill check when i receive them. I hope all is good.

If the "new" change is to leave out the sealing plate in the 2nd stage then its gona cost people a lot of injectiors and hpfp.

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update... I received my filters form dmax store. The filter are in fact the old and trusted pff55216!!!! They were the same as the last 6 that I've ran. Yazzie. No more fuel filters from gm, air filters may be.

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
All we have in stock is the Racor PFF50216 and we will continue to buy those as our fuel filter option along with the Wix. :thumb

We also have a free shipping weekend going right now use coupon code "FSDMF". Oil products are exempt from the free shipping. Free shipping only applies to the lower 48 US states.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is really dumb, you all are saying the new filter is no good but have no test data that backs up that assumption. You guys haven't even tried one to see how it works. No one has even bothered to cut one open to see what the internal structure actually is. Some are even recommending not using it because it is "different". Then you have a vendor contributing to the filter bash saying buy what I have in stock. Can anyone say gossip? No wonder I don't spend much time on this forum. If this is thread is indicative of the level of forum knowledge then I'm taking a giant step backward being here.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
This is really dumb, you all are saying the new filter is no good but have no test data that backs up that assumption. You guys haven't even tried one to see how it works. No one has even bothered to cut one open to see what the internal structure actually is. Some are even recommending not using it because it is "different". Then you have a vendor contributing to the filter bash saying buy what I have in stock. Can anyone say gossip? No wonder I don't spend much time on this forum. If this is thread is indicative of the level of forum knowledge then I'm taking a giant step backward being here.
Well then go ahead and spend the $30.00 dollars and let us know what's inside. ACDelco has clearly stated a manufacturing change, a lesser price, not made by Racor/Parker anymore, no testing data available, WTF else do want? Go ahead and use one if you want, your truck.......

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
I got a TP3018 on my truck right now. I plan to cut it open when im due for a replacement.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.