Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up our new 21 Denali 3500 DRW truck and getting ready to pull our 38' 5th wheel trailer. I was excited to get the extra tpms valve stems with the truck that can be used on the trailer--integrating with factory system and visible on the truck's trailering app. After reviewing trailer detail, the recommended cold psi is 110. From what I can tell in the truck owner's manual, the factory tpms is good up to 100 psi. So...if I go to the trouble and expense of having these tpms valve stems installed, would I be able to see any reading at all (with tire at 110psi), or just not anything over 100?

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
I would contact the dealership about adjusting to higher pressures since G-rated tires (110psi) are standard equipment on many 16k#+ GVW trailers...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks--that was my next stop! I hope they can help me--I really don't want to have to go aftermarket and deal with an extra screen stuck on the dash :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just picked up our new 21 Denali 3500 DRW truck and getting ready to pull our 38' 5th wheel trailer. I was excited to get the extra tpms valve stems with the truck that can be used on the trailer--integrating with factory system and visible on the truck's trailering app. After reviewing trailer detail, the recommended cold psi is 110. From what I can tell in the truck owner's manual, the factory tpms is good up to 100 psi. So...if I go to the trouble and expense of having these tpms valve stems installed, would I be able to see any reading at all (with tire at 110psi), or just not anything over 100?
I'm having the same issue. 110psi tires, but the system purchased from GMC maxes out at 102psi. The dealership told me to search forums on the web. For now, I have my system installed, and know that it should alert me to a rapid pressure loss or increase in temp. Not what I wanted, but it's something. Sucks that GM didn't give it more capability, or even warn us about it. Wouldn't have spent the money on it had I known it wouldn't go to 110.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same issue. 110psi tires, but the system purchased from GMC maxes out at 102psi. The dealership told me to search forums on the web. For now, I have my system installed, and know that it should alert me to a rapid pressure loss or increase in temp. Not what I wanted, but it's something. Sucks that GM didn't give it more capability, or even warn us about it. Wouldn't have spent the money on it had I known it wouldn't go to 110.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks BudB and I agree--they have some updates to do here. Any truck as capable of these is more than likely going to be hauling trailers with at least a G-Rated tire--which means at least 110psi. What does your truck show when you look at the trailer TPMS? Anything at all? I will install if it will alert me to low pressure. Would be nice if I could see tire temp as well but I'll take the low pressure warning if I can get it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not only that, however if they are like the 2020, the valve stem is too small to fit in your wheel. You will need to adapt them.

If they gave you .625 stems, you would think they would give you better or higher rated sensors.

Good luck!

//KMac

·
Registered
Ford Bantam2002 gasoline engine
1 Posts
It's really shitty. Once upon a time I had such a situation

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stampede -

I’m curious if you ever got this resolved?

I’ve also read in another post that the maximum distance that the truck’s TPMS receiver can receive signals from the transmitters is 23’ from the truck rear bumper. I suspect a big fifth wheel like yours would have axles further back then that. Have you had any problems with the signal dropping off? I’ve got a 35’ bumper pull and I haven’t purchased receivers for it for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stampede -

I’m curious if you ever got this resolved?

I’ve also read in another post that the maximum distance that the truck’s TPMS receiver can receive signals from the transmitters is 23’ from the truck rear bumper. I suspect a big fifth wheel like yours would have axles further back then that. Have you had any problems with the signal dropping off? I’ve got a 35’ bumper pull and I haven’t purchased receivers for it for this reason.

Hi sorry for the late reply--we determined that the factory stems are too small to fit the trailer wheels so I can't get them installed. Have not found anyone selling upgraded stems that are compatible with the factory system. As we approach summer towing season I think I may go aftermarket with phone-based readouts to resolve my high-temp anxiety. :oops:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi sorry for the late reply--we determined that the factory stems are too small to fit the trailer wheels so I can't get them installed. Have not found anyone selling upgraded stems that are compatible with the factory system. As we approach summer towing season I think I may go aftermarket with phone-based readouts to resolve my high-temp anxiety. :oops:
This is really aggravating, isn’t it? Chevrolet likes to market their trailer TPMS as something special but when you dig into it you find so many limitations.

The system apparently operates on 433 Mhz and theoretically any after market stem should work. I’d sure like to know if anyone else has tried it before investing.

The diameter of the stem is also concerning. I think my trailer requires .625 but I don’t know for sure.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
There is an outfit that will put GM sensors on the larger valve stem. You might even be able to do it yourself if the sensors are screwed onto valve stem. Which some are. Some are molded in one piece so you couldn't easily on those.

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
867 Posts
TST

install metal valve stems… or use the internal ones.. they got ‘em.

8 years running their gear. Replace batteries and o-rings yearly..

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a company that modifies the GM sensors to .625 stems. Nichols Manufacturing and Welding. I’ve had them modified for my 2021 DRW Dually Diesel and am researching to see if the total number can go above 100 too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do these work with wnyp.
Apologies, I don’t know what wnyp is. I have a 2021 Duramax 3500 Diesel Dually Long bed towing a 38’ fifth wheel. We were provided with 4 extra sensors when we purchased the truck, and it’s been a learning experience trying to get them installed on the camper tires to be able to monitor through the truck system. I used Nichols to modify the stems and have them installed now. Will pair them this weekend. The truck does limit the pressure monitored to 100 psi and my tires are 110’s but I’m going to use them to monitor for low pressure anyway.
Nichols does the modifications for Ford as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Apologies, I don’t know what wnyp is. I have a 2021 Duramax 3500 Diesel Dually Long bed towing a 38’ fifth wheel. We were provided with 4 extra sensors when we purchased the truck, and it’s been a learning experience trying to get them installed on the camper tires to be able to monitor through the truck system. I used Nichols to modify the stems and have them installed now. Will pair them this weekend. The truck does limit the pressure monitored to 100 psi and my tires are 110’s but I’m going to use them to monitor for low pressure anyway.
Nichols does the modifications for Ford as well.
I’m not sure what Nichols is selling exactly for $38 per stem but you can use this part from Napa at $4/stem and achieve the same result. Just take the larger seal, washer, and nut and put it on your sensors that came with your truck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts