Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I read here that the newer TPMS devices had to be moving to activate and work correctly. I have new wheels and tires that I put on this weekend with no TPMS devices. The old stock wheels tires and TPMS are in the bed of my truck and I am getting psi readings on the DIC and no yellow dash lights. Just wanted pass this info along. Guess you could rig something up in a pressurized tube like the Tundra people have done with theirs to keep their dash lights off.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I tried the pressurized tube and although the light stayed off for a while, eventually it came back on. Perhaps you have not been on long enough drives yet?

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Yeah, once the tire sensors are away from the truck, or the tire sensors arent moving (after a while) youll get the TPMS dash light/DIC msg.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ive had mine in a tube in my tool box for almost 2 years and have never gotton the light.

·
GMC..Professional Grade
3,962 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure who started the whole "they're motion activated" thing, but from my experiences, it's not true. The truck requests info from the sensors in intervals, to make the batts in the sensors last as long as possible. It's possible that the truck uses certain speeds to wake up the sensors, but they don't have motion sensors in them to my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Well I know when I had to put my spare tire and put my original wheel in back of bed that it told me to check system or something to that affect.. Can't remember what it said anymore but it didn't like one sensor not moving.. Was my experience anyway, close as I can recall..

Maybe they changed in the later year models?

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
We just stuck all 4 sensors in the spare under the truck on a buddy's truck works great

·
Registered
616 Posts
If they're in the truck bed, they're moving the same speed as the truck is.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Lol eastex ...That's hilarious

·
Registered
676 Posts
That's funny, a buddy and I were just talking about this on his F150. He said if he parks in the right spot of his drive, the light goes out. Obviously where his old wheels are.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the way to the dealership to have the TPMS moved from my stock wheels to the new aftermarket wheels, the TPMS dash light went off. THe psi was still reading so obviously the newer trucks TPMS have to be mounted in a moving tire.

I noticed the dealership used rubber valve stems on the TPMS devices in my new aftermarket wheels. I thought all TPMS valve stems were metal????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.