Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a certain scanner you all are using to reset TPMS? I’m on the road all the time for work so get my tires rotated and balanced wherever I am and can. A lot of times it may be WalMart. I’m tired of going there and them not having the relearn tool. If I’m going to buy it I might as well get a scanner also if they perform both (scan tool and relearn) functions. What options are there and what do you recommend? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have thought about getting one of these. I have a 2016 2500 LTZ. I was wondering if any of the scan tools did this also or is it required to have a separate tool? Now that my mileage is getting up there I plan on doing some adjustments to it like deleting. I have an older scan tool from years ago that just tells a code but never even tried it on this vehicle. It’s back home in SC anyhow and I’m in Colorado working. Do you all use the Tech2? What scanner do you recommend if I have to have a separate tool?

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I haven't reached the point of needing a scan tool yet.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
I know on my 2010, I could just turn the key to on, then press and hold Lock and Unlock on the key fob and the truck would go into tire relearn mode. Then just walk around letting air out a tire till the truck honked. My 2013s being 3500s do not have TPMS.

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Will this tool work on a 2500 hd? Amazon write up says not.

How do you get a 2019 into "learning mode". ?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts

Your owners manual will have the procedure for your truck. I believe it is the same as the older trucks. You hold the lock and unlock buttons on your key remote until the horn sounds. Then with the learning tool you start at the driver's front til the horn sounds once, then the passenger front, the passenger rear and then the driver's rear tire. Once the last tire is learned the horn will sound twice and indicate the procedure is done. You can do the same thing without the learning tool by letting air out of the tire instead of holding the learning tool next to the sensor. That works for some but I was never able to get all four tires to work doing it. The learning tool worked like a champ for me. The GMs use a 315/433 MHz learning tool. Dean

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FP933LV/ref=psdcmw_2201764011_t3_B072BK693N
There’s many items that Amazon shows won’t work on your particular vehicle, but will.

One good thing with buying from Amazon if it don’t work, you can return with full refund.
I bought this one to use on other vehicles if needed, works great for me.
Your GM manual should tell you how to change TPMS locations.

Push the tire position re-learn button until you hear a honk which will be on the DIC menu.
Then start on the left front (honk) then right front (honk) right rear (honk) left rear when you hear 2 honks it’s completed the re-learn.

A little easier than letting air out until you hear a honk, air that you need to replace when your done.

·
Premium Member
4,633 Posts
It has to be a tool that works on GM vehicles

Look in your operators manual, it will describe the process. for getting into Relearn Mode

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with this tool working? I bought one to use on my 15 2500hd and when I put the truck in learn more and go to the left front it never honks the horn. I've got aftermarket wheels and Nitro tires but the original sensors, if I take it to the dealer they relearn just fine. Thoughts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts