Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one simple question, I'm going to be making some t bars for my truck..I'm thinkin about 3 foot long just basic 3 inch pipe, do I need to worry about anything with axle movement? I don't want it to bind up or anything. I just need to stop the wheel hop.
Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
For sled pulling?

·
Engine Y U No Run?
177 Posts
Your gonna want them longer than 3' if your going to be doing any sled pulling. I used 5' sections of heavy 2" sched. 80 steel pipe.I found forged tractor top links that fit inside the pipe and I cut and welded them in, they ended up being about 5.5ft total. I mounted them with spring hanger brackets I got from tractor supply and axle tabs I ordered online. The brackets are welded and secured with grade8 5/8 hardware. Most will suggest a heavier wall thickness like DOM tubing. I did mine in a pinch with less than $100 invested and they have taken their share of abuse. I rattled canned them semi-gloss black and they look good. I can try to snap some pics if you want :drink

·
Registered
465 Posts
snap those pics please!

·
Registered
870 Posts
i just made a set of my own. they are shorty ones just to stop wheel hop. i have under $100 in mine but i made the brackets myself and had the bushings laying around.

·
Registered
870 Posts
i'll get pics of my traction bars up on my build thread here in a few. build thread

·
Engine Y U No Run?
177 Posts
I posted on here a while ago for help with no luck so I wung it and they turned out well. Might not be perfect to everybody but they suit me fine and havent failed yet. It gave my ride a more firm "positive" feeling with acceleration and hopping especially on all the washboarded roads we have around here. The more you can get the angle closer to the angle of your driveshaft the better and less chance of binding.I'll try to get a few pics tomorrow after class. I dont mean to thread jack or anything :rof

·
Registered
870 Posts
this might be the right thread to ask this question. do you want to jack the back end of the truck up before tightening the bars so you have a little pre load?

·
Registered
831 Posts
this might be the right thread to ask this question. do you want to jack the back end of the truck up before tightening the bars so you have a little pre load?
Sounds smart. It seems like it would give a little more resistance to the axle wrap if you could do it without throwing the shaft out of angle too bad.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Build 'em with the adjustible top-link (i think thats what the're called) and you can have them as tight as you want 'em with a little turnin... Im bout to do mine, got them built just gotta install

·
Registered
870 Posts
Sounds smart. It seems like it would give a little more resistance to the axle wrap if you could do it without throwing the shaft out of angle too bad.
Could you do the opposite to keep the ass end down further?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you talkin about heim joints? I was gonna use them, and make it adjustable.

·
Registered
870 Posts
those are heim joints. thats what i used on one end of mine.

·
Registered
984 Posts
someone get some parts lists up stat! or where they got stuff from I've been wanting to do this for awhile and wanna know some sizes lengths and prices I would like to do this for around 100 bones too!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mine are 5' from pin to pin found the pipe cheap at local metal yard that was scrap... Its 2" X .25" thick got the top links or heim joints at a used farm sales lot for 5 buck a piece... as you can tell I did it cheap so just do a little searching around and you'll find what you need

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's exactly what I'm tryin to do...cheap and effective.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts