Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am revamping my traction bar setup this winter. I currently have the pro comp trac bars that have the rear adapter plate between the leaf springs and the rear axle. I am going to use the same mounts up front but would like to put mounts on the rear that have tabs welded to the bottom anchor of the plate that the U bolts go through. What size tube should I use and what size joint should I use? We are also going to build a set for my buddies gasser but of course he wont need as thick of bars as I do.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I'm going to listen quietly to this conversation

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking 2" OD DOM .25" wall? Will this be strong enough?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
2" DOM tubing will be plenty strong enough. That is what I have used for the 3 different set of bars I have made.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang DOM is spendy! I wish I was a drag racer I would just go with Caltracs then because the DOM is as much as a Caltrac setup.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm building a set with 1 1/2" schedule 80 seamless pipe. The bars will be about 5' long each. The tabs will be welded to the spring mount pads and the frame rail under the door. For links, I'm using a three point hitch center link from Farm and Fleet. I'll just cut off the ends and weld them to the tube. the pipe was left over from a job site so I'll only have about 75.00 into the bars

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm building a set with 1 1/2" schedule 80 seamless pipe. The bars will be about 5' long each. The tabs will be welded to the spring mount pads and the frame rail under the door. For links, I'm using a three point hitch center link from Farm and Fleet. I'll just cut off the ends and weld them to the tube. the pipe was left over from a job site so I'll only have about 75.00 into the bars
Dang that awesome building them for that cheap! Can you get get me some of that tube! :D

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Dang DOM is spendy! I wish I was a drag racer I would just go with Caltracs then because the DOM is as much as a Caltrac setup.
Why would the Caltracs not work for your purpose?

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why would the Caltracs not work for your purpose?
One problem is caltracs aren't made for lifted trucks, and long bars are better then short bars for pulling.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not trying to drift off the subject but after you said longer bars are better for pulling does that mean that shorter traction bars are better for the drags?
I don't know what's best for drag racing sorry about that. I just hear that with all the torque we make in 4 low long bars help keep everything sable and intact.

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
2"x.25" dom is the way to go last i bought was ~$12ft.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Up here 2"x.25" is ~$20ft.

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
Damn...if it wasn't so heavy I'd ship u some but it would kill the price...the guy here stocks alot and prices stay the same until the next order they don't change as the price to buy rises...have u checked online...sch80 seamless will work I've had a set and at 800hp+ they just had a very slight arch after a whole season

·
Registered
546 Posts
I currently don't have any power adders on my truck, but I am planning on remedying that after Christmas. I am interested in traction bars. I have heard that they help with wheel hop, and if I spin my tires on wet pavement the truck hops around so maybe its worth putting traction bars on this truck. I could use more info like which ones would be good for all around use like street towing, racing, truck pulls, and hopefully ride comfort. What are the pros and cons of a single bar style vs ladder bars? Thanks for the help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts