Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently made a trip to Dallas from NW Ark. and turned my stabilitrac off, both ways of travel. I didnt drive my normal speeds that I travel the interstate and instead ran around 80-90 but resullted in getting around 19.5 MPG.
I normally run about 72-75 and get around 17-18.5. Has anyone tried this or konw if turning the stabilitrac off can result in better fuel mileage? This really surprised me and just would like to know if I should turn it off for long trips in the future.

Also I almost always get an "engine power reduced" message when I first start driving but it never seems to effect actual performance and runs normal and code goes away shortly after flashing up. Any help on both would be great! Thanks!!

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
I turn traction control/stabilitrak off everytime I start the truck.
I dont like it controlling the engine speed management. Acceleration is better with it off.
On dry roads I dont need that stuff on. When roads are bad/wet I leave it on.
My MPG is the same with it on or off.

·
Registered
349 Posts
i have a lt 2008 lmm... how do i change the stability control??

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
i have a lt 2008 lmm... how do i change the stability control??
You mean turn it off? Press the button once to disable traction control (DIC will read "traction control off"), press/hold the button for a couple seconds will disable StabiliTrak. DIC will read "StabiliTrak off"

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HD is right about turning off the TC/stabilatrac but I dont think your truck year model is equiped with stabilitrac Chanz. I think they started that in 09... I could be wrong but I think I have read that somewhere.

It might be that because of my larger tires my sweet spot is in that MPH range vs where I usually run on the interstate then. Thats the only other thing I can think of that I did different.

·
Registered
673 Posts
As stated above Stabilitrak is only available from 09 and up

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I think its sounds more of a result of getting a stong tail wind, or just staying a constant speed for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes sir. My speedo is corrected for tire size and I am running 305's. The tail wind aspect is very possible. That is the only time that I have run that speed for extended periods. I tend to run 77-80 cause I dont need a ticket. When running these speeds I see anywhere from 17.5-18.5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts