Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 305/55R20 nitto terra grappler G2 tires on my 3500. I have serious issues with traction in snow and mud. I can get stuck on a little ridge of snow in 4x4. Almost embarrassing. Driving through deep snow on the streets is absolutely horrible as well. I have never had this issue before with any of my other diesels and other brands of tires. But they were not this wide.

Does anyone have similar problems with this width of tire? Or is it that the nitto’s just suck this bad. I would never buy nitto’s but they were on the truck when I bought it and can not wait to get rid of them.

I am thinking of selling the tires and rims and going to a narrower rim with a 275/65R20. It’s an inch taller but an inch narrower. If anyone has a setup similar without rubbing or cutting, please let me know what offset is.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I feel your pain. I remember when 4X4 trucks would go anywhere. Then I bought a new 2004 Duramax 2500 and later a 2007 SRW 3500 gasser and neither one would do anything offroad.

Sadly, part of your problem is 20" wheels. When we had less wheel in the middle of the same height tire, we had more sidewall to give and flex which helped the tire float over soft spots rather than cut straight into soft ground. Also higher tire pressures on 10PR tires isn't allowing as much contact patch where the bottom of the tire contacts the ground, so higher psi ground contact is trying to cut into soft ground rather than stay on top. More contact patch area gives you better traction on snow and ice as well.

I switched from HT rubber on my 2007 to Hankook Dynapro MT's expecting a big difference. It did make a difference, the MT's would take me farther out into the soft ground before i got stuck, so I got even more stuck than before. What I finally found was to lower my air pressure, drastically. 80psi just doesn't work on soft ground, in mud or on snow and ice. I got rid of the MT's due to howl, lower fuel mileage and poor treadwear and went back to a M/S running at reduced pressure and I started getting around much better.

I fear you'll be disappointed in just switching tires/wheels, I was. Then I figured out the air pressure thing and it was the difference in day and night.

Edit: Re-read your post and thought more about your width concern. I would say yes, narrower probably does get around better on snow and ice. I have a dually now with 235 width M/S tires and it actually seems to get around better on snow and ice than my past truck with 265-17's did.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,515 Posts
The wider the tire, the more traction issue you will have in mud or snow. It spreads out the weight, doesn't allow the tire to really dig in and get a bite.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run my tires at about 65 psi and even have a topper on the back now.... Extra couple hundred pounds on the back. I’m not so much concerned about mud as I am snow and ice and driving down the highway. That’s where I am hoping the narrower tire will benefit.

Out hunting my friend had his half ton Ram with stock tires out in a wet bean field with no problems. I wasn’t about to try going in. I get stuck on small hills with 2” of snow while out deer hunting. It’s tempting to go back to a 6.2 gasser. That is probably the main reason for switching tire sizes...before I go back to a gasser.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I run my tires at about 65 psi and even have a topper on the back now.... Extra couple hundred pounds on the back. I’m not so much concerned about mud as I am snow and ice and driving down the highway. That’s where I am hoping the narrower tire will benefit.

Out hunting my friend had his half ton Ram with stock tires out in a wet bean field with no problems. I wasn’t about to try going in. I get stuck on small hills with 2” of snow while out deer hunting. It’s tempting to go back to a 6.2 gasser. That is probably the main reason for switching tire sizes...before I go back to a gasser.
Yeah a lot of farmers around here went all in with diesels several years ago, even for their hay feeding trucks which can require hauling a 1500# bale of hay out through pretty soupy mud. Many of them have now gone back to gassers for that chore.

Soft ground/mud and snow/ice are kinda 2 different animals. It'll be a little challenging to optimize for both. If snow/ice and highway are your focus, I think you're leaning the right direction going with the narrower setup.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Go to a soft rubber compound or a narrower tire. Easiest thing to do is get a stock set of 16's or 17's rims for winter and hunting and keep the pretty wheels for summer. I prefer Goodyear Duratracs for the snow and winter. I have heard good things about the Firestone Destinations M/T2 as well on the newer trucks with pretty wheels. These are my 2 choices for tires right now. Hope this helps.

My deciding factor was I can get Firestone locally Im really rural, and the Nearest Discount tire was 100 miles away. The other Goodyear dealer never called me back, so I know he didnt need my business!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Working on getting rid of them. I think I have them gone already and nothing to put on! It’s going to have to be on blocks for a few days!!
Does anyone have experience with 20x9 rims with a 18mm offset and 275/65R20 tires and if they rub or not?

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Best snow tires are the Firestone destination, or Goodyear Duratrac. The Firestone comes with a 50K warranty. I love my Duratracs on my F250 and was going to go that way on my Duramax, but have since decided Im going to try the Firestone for the warranty. Look for the 3 mountains and snowflake ratings if you want a good snow tire. I'll post when I get mine installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts