Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in search of a trailer brake controller for my 05 3500. I drive a tractor-trailer for a living and I am used to air brakes that work in unison and I hate having to set the power of electric brakes; it always seems there is too much or too little or they take too long to ramp up (my current controller doesn't have a speed adjustment). I know at one time someone made a controller that had a sensor that went in line with a brake line and provided in unison braking. Does anyone have any experience with one of these or know if they're still available?

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Long ago, there was one similar to what you describe....can't remember the brand, but it was expensive and not an easy install. Antiquated by today's standards.

From dissatisfaction descriptions of your controller....well, that's an old and cheap bottom line one you have, or have used in the past.
Tech has come a long way since then.

You just need a proportional output controller, like a Prodigy. Simple, easy install, works perfectly. Once you adjust the gain, it works flawlessly, applying more trailer brake action when you need it, far less when you don't.

There's no more violent jerking at slow speeds, when you've got it cranked up for highway speed stops. And yet, at hwy speed panic stops, it kicks out the voltage to help shut 'er down, effectively and without loss of control.

What kind of trailer and what kind of brakes does it have on it?
Diff being, you may need the Prodigy-3 vs the basic model.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I pull everything; tandem axle 14K equipment trailer, 30ft tri-axle gooseneck, 3 horse slant, 24ft tandem stock trailer, 16ft utility trailer, etc. As far as what kind of brakes, I don't know the specifics on each trailer.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Sounds like they're all basic 12" x 2" drum type electric brakes.
The P2 would handle your needs there.
Tekonsha!
Different would be something like elec over hyd disc brakes, then you'd need the P3.
http://www.tekonsha.com/products/brake-controllers/proportional-controllers/trailer-brake-control-proportional/TzaIxkVx1cI5XOy!osRB55TR19SXShj4

With the proportional controller, once it's set, you just select boost level of 0, 1, 2, or 3, to match any increased weight of a loaded trailer vs an empty.
I too tow everything you describe, even doubles at times.
Works flawlessly.

In fact, wary be the traveler following too closely to the empty triple axle GN, and not reacting quick enough to a panic stop....it shuts down quick.

I will say though, the biggest improvement I've seen is upgrading the trailer brakes to self-adjusting backing plates. Basic elec drum trailer brakes are not like cars, they need to be adjusted on a regular basis....which users rarely if ever do, or even know to do.

Trailer brakes out of adjustment, won't perform properly.

Registered
I use the Tekonsha P3 on my vehicles, except on my lml, since it has the brake controller factory.
works great on all my trailers from a lil single axle to a triple axle car hauler.

Registered
S
I will say though, the biggest improvement I've seen is upgrading the trailer brakes to self-adjusting backing plates. Basic elec drum trailer brakes are not like cars, they need to be adjusted on a regular basis....which users rarely if ever do, or even know to do.

Trailer brakes out of adjustment, won't perform properly.
I thought self adjusting trailer brakes were great. But after 4 yrs and about 20K I had no brakes. Pulled the drums and things were a mess. On one the adjusting wheel had dropped down I forget what the other problems were. I then replaced them with standard style trailer brakes. I wondered if the reason for problems was that the trailer sees a lot of long trips and very little backing

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Sounds more like a hardware failure....May not have been adjusted properly after install. Self adjust, but they still need to be adjusted for a starting point when new.

They don't adjust up in reverse, just a hair tighter with every forward braking stop, as I understand 'em.

Registered
Sounds more like a hardware failure....May not have been adjusted properly after install. Self adjust, but they still need to be adjusted for a starting point when new.

They don't adjust up in reverse, just a hair tighter with every forward braking stop, as I understand 'em.
Hook I do know how to install and they were adjusted right when installed. At the time of purchase I had the same thoughts that you do but it didn't work out for me. What happened I don't know but it did sour me on them

Registered
I loved my P3 on my 05 Ram. So far above those "cheap" ramping controllers. I say cheap as they seem to cost nearly as much as a P3.

BUT: I'm just gonna say the built in controller in my new truck kicks the P3's ass all over the place. I also haven't tried any of the new fangled ones like the Redarc but they get really good reviews.

Registered
I have an idea on the self adjusting brake failure. It is pretty easy to install the adjusters on the wrong side of the axle and have the adjustment loosen them instead of tightening them. Lots of people have done it and you have to be careful when working on them not to get caught.

I too have the P3 and really like it. I've dealt with other controllers in the past on other people's trucks and they are not nearly as nice to work with.

Registered
I bought complete and ready to go loaded backing plates which were marked L & R

Registered
Well, if you didn't have anything apart and nothing was assembled wrong from the factory then there must be some other explanation.

Registered
If you figure it out let me know. In the meantime I'll continue using manual adjusting brakes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts