Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GMC 3500 CCLB SRW Denali
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like randomly after hooking up my trailer and turning the truck off, when turning it back on it will give me an error and tell me trailer brake gain can’t be recalled even though it sets the gain to what I had it for the trailer. The below message pops up (excuse the reflection please)
Edit: this is with a saved trailer profile
Car Plant Automotive design Vehicle Gesture

·
Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
771 Posts
I would check your grounds on the trailer as a first starting spot. often times corrosion will grow under the connection so you will have to remove the ground clean it up then try again

the newer trucks need that ground to be solid.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would check your grounds on the trailer as a first starting spot. often times corrosion will grow under the connection so you will have to remove the ground clean it up then try again

the newer trucks need that ground to be solid.
I don’t think it’s a ground issue because the truck still recognizes a trailer is attached. To me it appears to be a software problem with recalling the profile. I say this because when that error comes up my trailer brakes, lights and all that still work and the truck identifies it has a trailer it just defaults to the guest profile.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
The only time I needed to reset the trailer brake was after disconnecting the batteries. My truck is older and doesn't have that technology. No message was given that I saw anyway.

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet 3500 High Country CC
1,184 Posts
Will be interesting too see where this goes. Mine does the same thing at random. I haven't been able to consistently duplicate it. I have noticed if I select one of my other trailers then select the one I'm actually towing it accepts it just fine. For example, just drove 4 hours with the 5th wheel, stop for lunch, start the truck to leave and it gives me that message, I select 20ft trailer, it recalls it then I select the 5th Wheel and it recalls it, all good. New stop it I restart the truck and it does fine.

I never connect the truck and trailer anymore with the truck running so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I have a camera on my 5th wheel, I've long since learned to shut the truck off and shut the doors while finishing up connecting and connect the trailer cables last or the camera system will likely give issues at random.

@JonM21Ltz - I don't believe it is a ground issue either, it's not a connection error it's a recall setting error. Recalls it fine selecting another trailer then selecting the correct trailer.

On a side note, I like the idea that the newer trucks turn on tow mode when you restart the truck, I do wish it would turn engine breaking back on also. Doesn't make since that the programmers wouldn't do this. Or better yet wish there was a couple check boxes in the trailer setups where we could tell it to turn on engine brake and tow mode with the selected trailer would be really nice.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will be interesting too see where this goes. Mine does the same thing at random. I haven't been able to consistently duplicate it. I have noticed if I select one of my other trailers then select the one I'm actually towing it accepts it just fine. For example, just drove 4 hours with the 5th wheel, stop for lunch, start the truck to leave and it gives me that message, I select 20ft trailer, it recalls it then I select the 5th Wheel and it recalls it, all good. New stop it I restart the truck and it does fine.

I never connect the truck and trailer anymore with the truck running so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I have a camera on my 5th wheel, I've long since learned to shut the truck off and shut the doors while finishing up connecting and connect the trailer cables last or the camera system will likely give issues at random.

@JonM21Ltz - I don't believe it is a ground issue either, it's not a connection error it's a recall setting error. Recalls it fine selecting another trailer then selecting the correct trailer.

On a side note, I like the idea that the newer trucks turn on tow mode when you restart the truck, I do wish it would turn engine breaking back on also. Doesn't make since that the programmers wouldn't do this. Or better yet wish there was a couple check boxes in the trailer setups where we could tell it to turn on engine brake and tow mode with the selected trailer would be really nice.
Glad to know I’m not the only one with the problem. I will probably ask the dealer about it when I take it in for service. That won’t be for a few months though so maybe a software update will solve it in the mean time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My truck is experiencing the same symptoms. I've been trying to link behavioral operational patterns to when the error occurs. I believe the sequence of starting the truck, with a trailer attached, but leaving pressure on the brake may be confusing to the trailer brake recall process of the truck. Try releasing the brake immediately after starting the truck to allow the truck to recall the brake setting of the trailer. I have not followed my own advice on a basis necessary to confirm the theory, so I can't guarantee the "fix".

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Well this is interesting. I was reading my manual today because I am like that and apparently the truck is supposed to turn on the exhaust brake when you turn on tow haul mode. I could have sworn I had read that when I first bought the truck but it never worked so I thought I remembered incorrectly and never verified. I guess I will ask the dealer about it maybe they can program it too. I’m glad my truck isn’t the only one.
Font Number Document Publication

My truck is experiencing the same symptoms. I've been trying to link behavioral operational patterns to when the error occurs. I believe the sequence of starting the truck, with a trailer attached, but leaving pressure on the brake may be confusing to the trailer brake recall process of the truck. Try releasing the brake immediately after starting the truck to allow the truck to recall the brake setting of the trailer. I have not followed my own advice on a basis necessary to confirm the theory, so I can't guarantee the "fix".
I tried that today and still got the error. I am going to delete the profile and re add it again and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Well this is interesting. I was reading my manual today because I am like that and apparently the truck is supposed to turn on the exhaust brake when you turn on tow haul mode. I could have sworn I had read that when I first bought the truck but it never worked so I thought I remembered incorrectly and never verified. I guess I will ask the dealer about it maybe they can program it too. I’m glad my truck isn’t the only one.
View attachment 1110293

I tried that today and still got the error. I am going to delete the profile and re add it again and see if that helps.
I thought I had read that also, but I have to select engine break every time I restart the truck. I'll be running it by the dealer also.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought I had read that also, but I have to select engine break every time I restart the truck. I'll be running it by the dealer also.
Same here. If you talk to your dealer please report back, I probably won’t be making a trip to the dealer for a little bit but when I do I’ll also report back here.

·
Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
1,634 Posts
Hell, I get that same message when I hook up my boat, and it doesn't even have trailer brakes! And no, I never programmed brakes into that profile for the boat! Lots of unexplained messages pop up from time to time, at least on my truck. Now getting a "service restraint system" with an airbag light, and a "service tire monitoring system" where a tire will disappear for a few minutes every now and then on long trips.

Sometimes electronic technology isn't all its cracked up to be...

• Wow
Reactions: Satar

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hell, I get that same message when I hook up my boat, and it doesn't even have trailer brakes! And no, I never programmed brakes into that profile for the boat! Lots of unexplained messages pop up from time to time, at least on my truck. Now getting a "service restraint system" with an airbag light, and a "service tire monitoring system" where a tire will disappear for a few minutes every now and then on long trips.

Sometimes electronic technology isn't all its cracked up to be...
That’s very interesting and kind of confirms this is most definitely a software issue and not a ground issue on the trailer. I wish there was a way to report bugs back to GM instead of just telling the dealer and hoping they care enough to report it back.

·
Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
1,634 Posts
I'm thinking its because I have a CTS3 plugged into the obdii port. If I leave that unplugged, I don't recall getting any messages or warnings, but I just can't keep it unplugged, what's the point in having it if I can't use it? :unsure:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm thinking its because I have a CTS3 plugged into the obdii port. If I leave that unplugged, I don't recall getting any messages or warnings, but I just can't keep it unplugged, what's the point in having it if I can't use it? :unsure:
I'll have to try that but I think I was having the problem before I installed my iDash. If that is really the reason then I can live with that. I'll just manually set the trailer when the error happens.

I just would like the exhaust brake to turn on when I put it in tow/haul mode like its supposed to!

·
Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
1,634 Posts
iirc, the light doesn't come on at the exhaust brake switch, but its actually turned on. I don't know since I have mine programmed to always be on regardless of tow/haul mode.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm thinking its because I have a CTS3 plugged into the obdii port
I don't have anything modified or plugged into my obd port and it still happens, I usually select one of my other trailers then select the one i'm using it always recalls it then. It's a crapshoot, sometimes it recalls it just fine, I'll have to pay more attention and see if I can find a pattern, won't be much winter pulling though (depending on the weather).

iirc, the light doesn't come on at the exhaust brake switch, but its actually turned on. I don't know since I have mine programmed to always be on regardless of tow/haul mode.
I don't think this is the case either, atleast not on my truck. Our last trip to MD through the mountains I pulled off the exit ramp on a pretty good down hill grade after a pitstop and realized I was hitting the brakes more like my old dodge then realized I hadn't turned on the exhaust brake, pushed the button and it started holding the speed perfectly. My tow/haul had come back on and my brake setting restored though. I always try to remember to turn the exhaust brake back on now.

Reactions: flyinhawaiian968

·
Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
1,634 Posts
Yeah, I couldn't remember if it did or not, was thinking it did turn the brake on without illuminating the light but I stand corrected!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts