Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GMC 3500 CCLB SRW Denali
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like randomly after hooking up my trailer and turning the truck off, when turning it back on it will give me an error and tell me trailer brake gain can’t be recalled even though it sets the gain to what I had it for the trailer. The below message pops up (excuse the reflection please)
Edit: this is with a saved trailer profile
Car Plant Automotive design Vehicle Gesture

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would check your grounds on the trailer as a first starting spot. often times corrosion will grow under the connection so you will have to remove the ground clean it up then try again

the newer trucks need that ground to be solid.
I don’t think it’s a ground issue because the truck still recognizes a trailer is attached. To me it appears to be a software problem with recalling the profile. I say this because when that error comes up my trailer brakes, lights and all that still work and the truck identifies it has a trailer it just defaults to the guest profile.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will be interesting too see where this goes. Mine does the same thing at random. I haven't been able to consistently duplicate it. I have noticed if I select one of my other trailers then select the one I'm actually towing it accepts it just fine. For example, just drove 4 hours with the 5th wheel, stop for lunch, start the truck to leave and it gives me that message, I select 20ft trailer, it recalls it then I select the 5th Wheel and it recalls it, all good. New stop it I restart the truck and it does fine.

I never connect the truck and trailer anymore with the truck running so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I have a camera on my 5th wheel, I've long since learned to shut the truck off and shut the doors while finishing up connecting and connect the trailer cables last or the camera system will likely give issues at random.

@JonM21Ltz - I don't believe it is a ground issue either, it's not a connection error it's a recall setting error. Recalls it fine selecting another trailer then selecting the correct trailer.

On a side note, I like the idea that the newer trucks turn on tow mode when you restart the truck, I do wish it would turn engine breaking back on also. Doesn't make since that the programmers wouldn't do this. Or better yet wish there was a couple check boxes in the trailer setups where we could tell it to turn on engine brake and tow mode with the selected trailer would be really nice.
Glad to know I’m not the only one with the problem. I will probably ask the dealer about it when I take it in for service. That won’t be for a few months though so maybe a software update will solve it in the mean time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts