Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2018 3500 with the factory class 5 hitch. What are you guys using for hooks on the
trailer safety chains that will fit in the holes on the hitch?

·
Registered
655 Posts

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Most folks install the quick links to hook to.
quicklink.jpg

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
All my trailers came with hooks that work in any receiver.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Some of the hooks that come on the trailers look too big but if you angle or turn them just right you can get them hooked. Takes a little time and practice but most of them will work as is.

·
Premium Member
9,735 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
Ive always used these.............

The short end is hooked to the chain by bending the hook and then the long end is installed from the bottom upwards, so the weight of the chain pulls the hook down keepingj it from "jumping" off the hole.

Ive also used slots, cut in 1/4 plate steel and a hole to let the chain hook itself without the use of a hook.

I like these they very best, because the length of the chain is infinitely variable and does not require twisting the chain (which actually weakens it) to get it to the proper length.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Been a while since I looked at dads 2017...I think on those new trucks you come in from the back and out the side of the receiver...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I use a 1" clevis rated for 6500 lbs or 13,000 for the two of them and should the chains be needed to keep the trailer with the truck I want to be sure they stay attached.

I was towing a horse trailer with two horses inside when the hitch released and all the kept the trailer from flipping and my having to deal with two badly injured horses was the safety chains. The owner of the horses had loaded them into the trailer and push down the latch but had not put a pin to insure it stayed down. Learned a couple of lessons with that incident.

·
Registered
410 Posts
This is what came on my trailer and they work well. The one on the right is not easy to get on or off but it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
This is the other picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Our trailers have the same as the post above and they work well. Just have to angle them in just right and they work slick!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My trailer has those same hooks but the chain's are two short. I would like to use those kind of hooks on a new chain but I understand it is impossible to bend hook end were the chain goes.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Those are what came on all my trailers.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
My trailer has those same hooks but the chain's are two short. I would like to use those kind of hooks on a new chain but I understand it is impossible to bend hook end were the chain goes.
not impossible at all, use a larger hammer and it will bend just fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you have a big punch you drive that through it and it wil spread it enough to get the chain off. Done it many times. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts