Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 24' enclosed trailer and a Superwinch Terra 4500. I want to rig the hand held remote plug in at the rear of the trailer by the gate (left side of the trailer). The wiring for the connector is only about 8' long. I figured the I will have to extend the wire about 20-25' to get to the solenoid and battery. It looks like the factory wire is only about a 18 gauge wire. I am not super savvy on electrical work. What gauge wire do I need to ensure I don't burn up the wire (or burn the trailer down)? Also, does anyone have this type of winch? I am curious how much amps are going to the controller. I haven't heard anything from Superwinch.

·
Registered
812 Posts
There are 2 things that need to be considered. 1st, what size wiring is between the connector for the plug and the relays that control the winch, and 2nd how much current is going through the 18 gauge wire.

Have you looked into wireless controllers. I think you could get one for under $20.

Check out
he does a wireless winch controller for a dump trailer, but the controller is pretty universal. Short wires, easy to hookup and offers much better mobility when using the winch, especially when you are 20'+ from it having to deal with moving around when trying to align whatever you are pulling into the trailer.

here is the wireless controller he us using: Amazon.com: X-BULL Recovery Wireless Winch 2 Remote Control Kit Handset Switch Car Jeep ATV SUV 12V: Automotive

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Should be a low draw. Voltage drop would be my concern as the batteries draw down.

I have mixed feelings on the wireless, but I do know that it never seems the wires always get in the way or seem to be too short limiting where you need to be.

I would recommend putting a battery disconnect on the batteries with either system. Have wireless winch dad installed on tractor, and it draws the battery to dead over a couple of weeks if not run.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am trying to figure out how much current is going through that part of the system. I just don't want to fry something. I'm not sure about the wireless control. I don't need to wander too far away. I just want to be at the ramp when I pull a car in.
I would recommend putting a battery disconnect on the batteries with either system. Have wireless winch dad installed on tractor, and it draws the battery to dead over a couple of weeks if not run.
I intend to have a kill switch where the ignition switch is supposed to be on the winch diagram.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
I am trying to figure out how much current is going through that part of the system. I just don't want to fry something. I'm not sure about the wireless control. I don't need to wander too far away. I just want to be at the ramp when I pull a car in.
Post #3....they offer an extended wire harness to mount a plug-in socket at the trailer rear for your hand held controller switch to plug into.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you seeing details on that part? I am not seeing how long it is. I got the one that came with the winch.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Inquire on Monday and see.

EDIT.....
Nevermind....just looked at the manual and that part number is on the parts list of what's included.

If you do run your own extension, 14ga should be fine. There's no load on that switch, it just connects the relay to fire the winch.

I want one of the wireless ones...HF has the badland wireless kit for $30-40. That's the one I've been eyeing....but I have their 12k winch brand already.

Reactions: Chris_12

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hook, that wireless kit I posted is $15 from Amazon. With it, you could wire it up to run both wireless and wired by just buggy backing the connections.

And Amazon delivers during the shutdown.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
That's not good. Read thru all of the lower star ratings, didn't see anything about wet failures.
But I'm not the one to rate, hasn't been used yet. I bought and installed it in case I ever need to rescue one of our trucks.
Cheaper price for it vs a mileage tow of the truck and TT (I have a receiver hitch on the GN rear for a 2nd trailer).

I do keep all of the electrical stuff that mounts on top of it, inside the truck, ready to pull out if ever needed.
Had to have a mounting plate made and welded it to the trailer frame. It looks really nice in front, impressive.
Thought I was finally gonna get to use it here recently to move an old antique Fjord to a new home, but with the Corona setback, they backed out of buying the new home it was going to be moved to.

Maybe one day.
I would like to have some sort of cover for it. Have some ideas. Got a month of Corona VaCay now, so it's on the list of chores that have been languishing around for years, now with plenty of time to complete 'em all. :D

Reactions: blythkd1
1 - 11 of 11 Posts