Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. On my 15 lml. When the truck is cold in the morning , it will slip out of gear and the indicator light will just blink on the dashboard. If I go back to “park” and then back to gear it will be fine. Weird that I can drive like 30 ft and it will kick out. Usually when I’m coasting. Once the tranny is warmed up it never happens. Was interesting trying to hook up my rv the other day. Any thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess I should add. Truck has 145xxkm on it. Deleted , 50 hp tow tune. Never abused and never pulled more then 9k. Fluid has been swapped out once and I’ve been changing the small filter often

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Low on fluid?

I checked it this morning when I first fired it up. The fluid is right on the cold line. I didn’t check it once it warmed up.

It did it again today , Drove ahead 10ft then it went into neutral. Hooked up my trailer , and no issues at all once I leave the driveway.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I was going to say possible TCM issues. But, wouldn't think that the TCM would sow difference(s) hot/cold. But, that may be inaccurate.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Tell us about starting the truck in the morning, from getting into the truck and starting the engine. In particular from the time the engine starts until you go into gear. What happens if you start your truck, wait 30 seconds while idling to go into gear? Or a minute? Still same problem? Maybe raise the idle to say 2000 for a few seconds?

You might see that I'm thinking that the TC/trans drains overnight, then on cold startup it takes a little longer than normal to function correctly. Once warmed up, starting for other times during the day, it's OK, it's just the overnight time period that exacerbates the problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tell us about starting the truck in the morning, from getting into the truck and starting the engine. In particular from the time the engine starts until you go into gear. What happens if you start your truck, wait 30 seconds while idling to go into gear? Or a minute? Still same problem? Maybe raise the idle to say 2000 for a few seconds?

You might see that I'm thinking that the TC/trans drains overnight, then on cold startup it takes a little longer than normal to function correctly. Once warmed up, starting for other times during the day, it's OK, it's just the overnight time period that exacerbates the problem.
I always command start the truck 5 mins before i move it. Then usually I drop it into gear , wait 10 seconds then start driving. Truck is my retired daily driver so now it only gets driven couple times every month.

And If I say drive the truck , park for a few hours and then drive again , it will be fine. Only acts up after sitting over night

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
See attachment. While it does not at first glance appear to have anything to do with your truck, at the bottom they talk about the converter check valve. Might be a clue to your problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha well this sucks. Just went to go move my diesel on the driveway. Tried letting it idle in gear for 30 seconds. Went ahead no problem but not I’ve totally lost reverse and have a check engine lite on. Guess I’ll to bring it in now. Hoping it’s something simple like a linkage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts