Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer sold me an AcDelco tranny filter # TF950.

I keep seeing references to the Allison filter but not a GM AcDelco part in any of the part lists I've seen.

My truck is the 2013 Duramax.

This is a blue colored filter.

Sound ok?

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
The Allison red filter (29539579) is much cheaper in price then the Ac Delco (TF950). Either 1 works.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. There was an Allison filter on there.
Is that what comes on the truck from the factory?

I wasn't aware of the PO having changed the tranny fluid. He never mentioned it.

Whomever put it on was a gorilla. Man it was tough getting it off but so was the engine oil filter.

I also never saw a torque setting for the tranny drain. I used the old "that's tight enough" method for now.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
From the factory they come will a Allison red filter. & just get the drain plug & filter on tight. No need to torque them.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Sometimes the Delco box contains a filter with the Allison part number.

They are much cheaper at an Allison dealer than a gm dealer.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
The transmission filter only needs to be hand tight. Something like a half turn once the gasket makes contact. Just snug it up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a serious gasket on the tranny filter. Way thicker than the eng oil filter.
I just tighten them until they are quite snug but to where I'd like to think I can remove them by hand.
The tranny filter takes at least a few good turns.
It appears the last dealer did the oil and the tranny was the factory.
Both required filter wrenches and serious pulls, as did the drain plugs.
Way to tight before, IMO.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Yes. There should be a magnet. Lots of times (if a person doesnt know it has 1) it sticks to the old filter & gets tossed out.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
You can pick 1 up from the GM dealer for around $13. You can get it cheaper at a Allison dealer. Or call & talk to a vendor that sells the magnet & see if theyll make you a special offer on shipping, for just ordering the magnet.

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
Trans spin-on is 1 complete full turn after contact.
By Hand.

Oil is 3/4
By Hand

Fuel is 1/2.
By Hand.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
^^^ :thumb
It should all be this easy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Magnets in the mail.

One issue I had doing the tranny fluid (besides getting the factory filter off it was so tight and not knowing about the magnet) was the fluid level.

In my experience if you fill almost anything to what the book or forums say is the fill amount, it's over filled.

So, I put in 7qts, vs 7.4.

The level was then way over the cold fill line.
I let about 1/2 qt out and it was still high.
Another 1/2 (or so) and it was at the top of the cold fill line.

I drove it to get it hot but I have never come even close to the tranny temps the books says to use for a hot fill check. I think 120F is the max I've seen so far.

When I checked it, it was way over the hot line.
Out comes another 1/2qt or so and it looked ok.

Now it appears a little low on the cold fill check but I can't have put more than a total of 6qts in, maybe less. So, I put in a little more.

I'm now figuring this whole cold/hot fill check is very susceptible to temps. Maybe my cold wasn't super cold and my hot never is very hot, not like I'd expect in summer towing.

Anyways, I'm leaving it as is for now. I figure a system with so many qt's in it can't be a big deal if I am off 1/2 qt or something one way or the other.

I must be close but if I had put in 7.4qt's I'd have been way over.

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
That's why many will pour in a gallon to start, then use that empty jug to measure the amount drained out and replenish with same. :thumb

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That makes sense now.
If I'd known the whole hot/cold fill check was such a pita I would likely have done that.
Of course then you are assuming it was correct to start with.
The whole reason I'm doing it is I don't know if the PO messed with it before.
Point is, I don't ever get to the correct tranny temp for a hot check so all this is an inexact science.
It clearly does not take the 7.4qt the book calls for in my case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.