Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I did a complete tranny fluid change on my 2014 2500HD 6.6. I changed both internal and external filters. When checking fluid I went through the procedure but have a question about operating temp. My Allison usually runs 111-120 degrees but the procedure says get to operating temp (160+ degrees) to get an accurate "hot" read. I checked at 118 degrees and it was just about the middle of the hot area. I put about 10 quarts in total after dropping the pan so my question is is 118 degrees ok for a "hot" read or did I over fill? I checked this morning after a 12 mile run and the tranny temp was 110 degrees while engine temp was 200 degrees. The tranny fluid was 1/2 on the hot area. I'm confused!

BTW - I checked with truck running and in Park. At 118 degrees its 1/2 way in hot. Yesterday I checked cold by starting truck, idle for 5 mins, put in d, n, r then park. Tranny temp was 70 degrees and fluid was top of cold area.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I go through the same thing;) Gauges are inherently incorrect also. I would say for now, you are perfect. Anywhere in the hot hash marks at operating temps is good. Also, anywhere in the cold hash marks is good when really cold (after sitting overnight).
I would hold off doing anything until you drive it enough to perhaps raise the temp more, then check for peace of mind.
When towing my 12k fifth wheel in the Southwest the temps are around 190-220 and the oil is at the top of the hash marks. When the tranny temp is 150-160, it is around the middle of the hash marks.
I would rather be a little high than a little low;)
Oh, and the hot range hash marks represent about a quart of fluid.

2007 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
The optimal fluid level for the Allison is at the lower quarter of the hot hash marks since the 1000 runs warmer when filled higher. What fluid did you install?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
When it gets very hot this summer, check your 'hot' fluid level again. You may need to adjust a little more.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think you will be well over when “hot” temp at 160*. I have a 2014 and when I just drain from the plug and fill I add around 7.5-8 quarts of fluid. Last time I dropped the pan and changed the interior filter I think I added around 9 quarts of fluid and I was on the high side when I got my temp up to around 150*. It’s hard to get you tranny temp up to 160* unless you drive around town in stop and go traffic for 30-40 mins if the temp in under 80 outside. But the only way to tell the proper level of fluid is to get your tranny temp up over 160.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The optimal fluid level for the Allison is at the lower quarter of the hot hash marks since the 1000 runs warmer when filled higher. What fluid did you install?
I used Autotrans Super Plus fluid that is TES 295 rated. We buy it in 55 gallons drums for our business. We have Allison 2000/3000 transmissions in our trucks. Those trucks have a push button diagnostics that will tell you if fluid is good to go. If not, it tells you how much to put in. This is my first Allison in a pickup and it's a little cumbersome to check the fluid. I checked again yesterday when tranny was 118 degrees and it's 1/3 of the way in the HOT zone. I personally think there's a little too much fluid in it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok I did a complete tranny fluid change on my 2014 2500HD 6.6. I changed both internal and external filters. When checking fluid I went through the procedure but have a question about operating temp. My Allison usually runs 111-120 degrees but the procedure says get to operating temp (160+ degrees) to get an accurate "hot" read. I checked at 118 degrees and it was just about the middle of the hot area. I put about 10 quarts in total after dropping the pan so my question is is 118 degrees ok for a "hot" read or did I over fill? I checked this morning after a 12 mile run and the tranny temp was 110 degrees while engine temp was 200 degrees. The tranny fluid was 1/2 on the hot area. I'm confused!

BTW - I checked with truck running and in Park. At 118 degrees its 1/2 way in hot. Yesterday I checked cold by starting truck, idle for 5 mins, put in d, n, r then park. Tranny temp was 70 degrees and fluid was top of cold area.
I think you may have overfilled. I ran into same situations where I ran the truck let it sit for about 2 hours & swapped the fluid. I tried to get an accurate reading while truck was somewhat warm & it was reading 115 trans temp & was at the top of the cold mark. I decided to let truck sit over night while truck completely cooled down & sure enough next morning trans temp was 86 & was low on fluid. I slowly added till it was in the middle of COLD on the trans stick. It says to run your truck to at LEAST 160 degrees. I ended up getting it to 171 with about 45 min driving & read the HOT procedure & it was at the "T" on the hot mark. I let temp get down to around 160 and was at the "O" in hot. I left it because when I change my spin on I shouldn't have to add any fluid. Allisons do not like being overfilled. They actually prefer a tad underfilled from what I gathered. Hope this helps.

Cheers
-Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts