Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so even an idiot like me can change the tranny fluid on this truck. My only problem was I thought a little more than 7 quarts should come out when you pull the plug. Once the old fluid drained I filled with 7 and about 1/3 quarts of new fluid. When I checked my dipstick showed I was way to full. It was reading about 1/4 inch over the "hot" indicator and it was cold fluid. I refilled the old bottles with what came out of the truck and I had just about 6 quarts of old fluid. What give? I thought you were supposed to get something like 7.7 quarts out when you drain???

I had to unscrew the plug and let about a quart of new fluid drain out and made a mess when I pushed the plug back in.

I am by no means a mechanic and if an idiot like me can change his tranny fluid you would be a dumbass to pay $200 to have someone else do it for you.

In about 2000 miles I will be doing my 1st oil change on this truck with Rotella T6. How much oil comes out when you pull the oil filter off. Hopefully not much because it is installed sideways not straight up and down like I am used to.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Watch out when you pull the drain plug, 10 quarts of oil has a lot more force than you might think and a complete different experience than the standard 5 quart gasser. I will no longer have that experience as I have a Fumoto valve, takes a little longer but less issue blowing oil in all over. The oil filter is not to bad just a pan below it should do the trick...

The transmission, keep it just below the hot mark and your good to go on the Allison, it has to be operating temperature which takes about 30 minutes or more...

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Look up some youtube videos showing an oil change on a Duramax. Youll see how much oil comes out when you remove the oil filter.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Depending on how your truck is setting, is it level, higher in the front or back, the amount might not always be right, just close.
Did you just shut the engine down and start draining, or did you let it set for a while?
What most will do if they are not sure they will measure what came out, then put the same amount of new fluid back in
Run the engine let it warm up, leave the engine running then check the fluid level and add if you need to for the proper level.
I'll do this everytime I do a trans fluid change, then you'll be closer to the proper amount.

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
Watch out when you pull the drain plug....
Before the valve, it was always a 'quick-draw' thing, trying to pull your hand & plug back quick, seeing how less of oil you'd get on ya. :rof
However, one time I was in a rush to change/service/reload and hit the road to load and go....and had to do it without much of a cool down.

Ya know how they say oil 'thins' out when it's hot? :cool:

Now, I'm not sayin' I'm a pro or anything, but after 100 or so Dmax oil changes, I've gotten pretty good at selecting just the right spot for a perfect center 'catch' point of the 1st blast, ya know?
:high5

Well, she hit that perfect spot alright. Then just like a Jetboat, it did a 15" rooster tail leap right back up to the front side of the tranny pan and sprayed hot oil everywhere...including me, from head to waist. :crazydance

Yeah, fun times. Bagman*

CA2500, $$ spent on a Fumoto or EZ valve is well spent. humpin:
(EZ-106) Oil Drain Valve

·
Registered
153 Posts
As far as removing the engine oil filter goes, after I drain the oil I poke a small hole in the underside of the oil filter with a screwdriver and let all the oil drain out of it. Makes taking it off a lot cleaner

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Here's something a little less messy and you don't have to crawl underneath your truck.
It's actually used for getting oil samples out thru the dip stick and works just fine to remove trans fluid thru it's dip stick.

I'm still a little skeptical on installing the Fumoto or ez valve.

http://www.easyvac.com

Attachments

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Thanks Hook for the detailed analysis of the plight I encountered of my first oil change on my D-max, funds sometimes are a little tight and the universe works in mysterious ways..peek:

Thunder550 lives right down the street from me and posted his Fumoto valve on 3 diesel sites, quick computer reflexes I posted back, PM'ed and texted him right away. Had a lightly used Fumoto valve delivered to my garage door for $15.00....:thumb

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How secure are those fumoto valves? I don't baby my truck and take it off road frequently. I would be a little worried that if I hit something it might open the valve and I would loose all my oil. Has anything like that ever happened???

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just did mine, and it took two full jugs of Transynd. Checked the trans at 66°C and right in the middle of the HOT area.

Maybe because mine's lowered it has more gravitational pull.... LOL

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
It you hit something high enough to make contact with that valve, your trans, filter, and pan are toast. It's a spring loaded lever in a slot. Unlikely to open by accident. Even if it did, it's such a slow flow that you'd get warning lights before any engine damage was done.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
How secure are those fumoto valves? I don't baby my truck and take it off road frequently. I would be a little worried that if I hit something it might open the valve and I would loose all my oil. Has anything like that ever happened???
This is why I'm skeptical, lots of links on the Fumoto valve failures to click on.
There are a few positive ones.
I actually have one on my Generac generator in my Motorhome, it has a constant small drip.
This is why I feel the way I do.

fumoto valve failure - Bing

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there any other angled valve out there that would make the oil pour straight down instead of out?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just get the one with the hose nipple and a couple feet of vinyl hose and you can direct the oil anywhere you want.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Like Hook said, if something hits the valve you are going to have bigger problems. I put a rubber cap and hose clamp on the nipple just for my own peace of mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really like that valve. No problem, no leaks - not even a drop. And oil changes and samples are a breeze now.

I decided to buy a Fumoto Valve after I did my first oil change on my truck about a year ago. That was my real eye opener - everything that could go a little sideways on a novice 'Wrench' like me did.

I actually started to laugh as I was laying under the truck and the fire hose pressure of the 10 quarts started flowing out so fast that it exceeded the ability of my top-fill oil pan (with its little opening centered on the recessed top) - I had another container with me that I tried to catch oil with but I could only hold and balance it with one hand and it ultimately fell out of my slippery hand and spilled on me and the road under me. It looked like the Exon Valdez situation under my truck and on the street.

Now, with the valve, I attach a 3 foot length of hose to the nipple of the valve and feed it inside my pan opening and slide the lever open. I feel like a winner every time.

I get it that things can go wrong - but that's life. I'll roll the dice on this every time.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
The oil drain valve is a must for mess free oil changes.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Like Hook said, if something hits the valve you are going to have bigger problems. I put a rubber cap and hose clamp on the nipple just for my own peace of mind.
x2 :thumb

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm guessing the oil pan is the box in front of the tranny pan towards the back of the skid plate and under the cross arm of the frame, correct? Yes I am a newbie for this stuff but I want to start doing stuff myself. $150+ for a synthetic oil change is BS especially when I am driving 3000+ miles a month.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.