Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aight guys just tryin to see if there is a cheaper way to solve my problem. i don't have 5 grand to invest in a built tranny just wonderin if there is a cheaper way to beef it up a lil more so it won't go into limp mode.. it only does it everyonce in awhile but it is not good for the thing.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
your SOL once yah limp your pretty much done

·
Registered
196 Posts
It does not take 5 grand to have a built tranny bud look google patc for a allison 1000 its called a allison 1000 super rebuild kit it comes with triple disk all 5 power packs and a lot more i bought some other stuff like valves with it and i only put 3000

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
depends if your doing the work or not. But expect to pay 3000 yourself or a cou[ple more to have someone else do it.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
hmmm,if ya have a 5 speed I would say a Transgo Jr.....but I hate to tell you that you have to REMOVE the 5 speed to do it,the 6 speeds can stay in truck,the idea was for you to also go do that before you limped it...........just back down the power and save your money at this point man

·
Registered
254 Posts
I hate to take over your thread here, but what exactly is limping the tranny...? I have heard it used a lot and tried to search and understand what it technically is with no success!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when u have to much power goin to the tranny that it can't hold it it goes into limp mode where it stays in 3rd gear no matter how fast or slow u go it a saftey for ur tranny

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can run the 135 depending on how you drive, i run about480hp and its been fine i just dont drive it hard all the way to 5th gear. its not like ur going to limp it while putting around

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i mean it only does it when im runnin 70 and forget and go to pass someone.takin off at a light up untill that dredded 4-5 shift it does awesome

·
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
1,776 Posts
If you have some mechanical ability, you can build your own tranny. It isn't really that difficult. There are some builders that are good at it, as they have done it so many times, but there are no "secrets" to the Allison. It's the same "secrets" that apply to any automatic transmission. The Ally isn't as complicated as some people make it out to be either. I've built 2 and they are holding over 500hp daily. My friends love them. I'm not a "builder," I just built a couple for friends of mine. I used to build streetmod racing trannies when I lived in NC. My only regret is not getting the parts from Jesse at Husker (I wasn't a member of this forum at the time).

PATC (as mentioned in an earlier post) does have a great kit. Their convertor is a Precision convertor, but it is not the same company as the Precision we all know and love. It's a knockoff. I don't know of anyone that has it and has been running it for long enough to report the durability.

Jesse at Husker Diesel has a killer price on the SunCoast GMax kit for your truck, and it comes with a full Transgo kit. The only thing you would need to buy is a TC and fluid. You'll need some small parts that aren't included in the rebuild kit to beef your tranny, but not many. Those you can pick up from PATC, if Jess can't get them. Using the GMax kit from Jesse, and a true Precision single oversized disc convertor you should be good up to around 500hp for around $2500 if you do it yourself. Over 500hp you'll need a triple-disc and more $$$, but the GMax kit will still hold.

There are a couple of builders that frequent this site. I'm sure they'll chime in, but I don't know of any that are near Mississippi.

The hardest part of rebuilding your Ally is removing and reinstalling it in the truck. Without the transfer case attached, the Ally weighs around 350lbs. Leave the t-case bolted up for easier removal/installation. You'll need a tranny jack and a floor jack.

·
1,776 Posts
Oh, btw your lift kit is a contributing factor in the limping of your tranny.

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
Transgo Jr does nothing for 5spds

Full transgo is more work than it is worth.

A suncoast kit is your best bet.

You can do it yourself, its not going to be the top notch tranny that the big builders will build but its going to be a lot cheaper.

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
The hardest part of rebuilding your Ally is removing and reinstalling it in the truck. Without the transfer case attached, the Ally weighs around 350lbs. Leave the t-case bolted up for easier removal/installation. You'll need a tranny jack and a floor jack.
Why not just take the extra 10 minutes to remove the T-case.

I dont know how you would get it out witout removing the t case unless you nosedived the trans.

·
1,776 Posts
I removed the crossmember. I didn't leave the tcase bolted up the first time and it was a pain because of the angle the t/c bolts up at. I was also working alone. You tend to get creative when you don't have an extra set of hands. I found it easier the second time to bolt it up before I slid the tranny back under the truck and jack them into place as a single unit.

·
1,776 Posts
LOL... I think I misunderstood you and you misunderstood me... lol... When I was referring to leaving the t-case bolted up... I meant just for removal and reinstallation.

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
No that's what I was talking about. So youremive the torsion bar crossmember? Otherwise the only way to get it out is to nosedive it unless I'm missing something.

I remove the t case by myself and I'm little guy at 160lbs and 6' 2". It's really not heavy IMO.

·
Registered
238 Posts
just a couple of words just save money and get a whole kit so you wont have to worry bout anything

·
1,776 Posts
No that's what I was talking about. So youremive the torsion bar crossmember? Otherwise the only way to get it out is to nosedive it unless I'm missing something.

I remove the t case by myself and I'm little guy at 160lbs and 6' 2". It's really not heavy IMO.
LOL... I've got about 25lbs on ya... I don't think the TCase is that heavy... it's just awkward as hell, and I get aggravated easily.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts