Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those guys who tow heavy (over 12,000lbs) what is your trans temp usually at? I towed a 40 ft gooseneck last night about 500 miles round trip and when i came home loaded my temp gauge was reading like 220-230 degrees!:eek:

I had never seen it this high, so this morning I went through over the trans cooler and the lines and couldn't find anything wrong. I went ahead and changed my fluid and both spin on and internal filters out of fear I burned it up pretty good. The truck has 24,000 miles on it so i was not to far off from having to do it anyway, but do you guys usually get that hot when towing heavy or do i have some sort of cooling issue?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I haven't towed that heavy, but were you using tow/haul? If you were, you may need to PM Mike L. to get one of his tranny coolers. His tranny coolers should drop you down in the range that you need to be in.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Another vote for the Mike L tranny cooler!

You weren't towing in 6th gear by any chance were you?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got home from unloading the trailer with no problems, temp was around 170, but i didn't go as far.

I was using the tow/haul mode, and i didn't really pay attention to what gear i was in, i was trying to concentrate on my trailer and other drivers so i have no idea what gear or gears i was in. I think i was towing right at 16,000lbs.
I had a 80 horse case tractor with front bucket and shredder on back, and around 90 square bales of hay where i could fit them.

So Mike L. has a bigger trans cooler or what?

·
Registered
20 Posts
You guys have a better tranny than my dodge, but with it you dont want to run that hot. i towed a 15000lb pulling tractor last year and it ran around 140 most of the time. But like I said thats a dodge.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
cavenderlbz
Your temps did not hurt the Alli at all. The '06 has not been having too many issues with trans temps but there have been some. I wonder what your speeds were when the temps went up. You might possibly been running slow and converter clutch not on at lower speeds with not much airflow below 35 mph. There is a drop in cooler available that will bring those temps in line where they belong. I am not here to pimp for business, just trying to help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most of the drive is was right around sixty, but my first ten miles were at slow speed, but i never bothered to look down to see my temp.:confused:
This truck pulls at least five days out of the week and i have never seen it get that high. When i round up some money, there are some things i do need to invest in, and a new cooler should be one of the first to get addressed. I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I suspected that you drove pretty slow. The problem is a hard working converter with no airflow through an undersized cooler ( there is no airflow under 35 mph) and 245 psi constant pressure= a lot of heat. The factory cooler does not have the capability of bringing those temps back in line even after hyway driving because of its size. Use TowHaul as much as possible, synthetic fluid both engine and trans. 4 inch exhaust will help also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mike L. Do you have a link with the information on your cooler, like price and installation hints?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Mike L. Do you have a link with the information on your cooler, like price and installation hints?
PM me your email address and I will send you pictures. Install on an '06 is 2 bolts and snap the cooler lines in like factory. No fuss. Cooler is available from vendors on this board.

·
Registered
192 Posts
do you guys usually get that hot when towing heavy or do i have some sort of cooling issue?
I agree with Mike. Use synthetic fluid.

I had the same concern. For me, as soon as i added cooling capacity in the form of an engine oil cooler with the air dam, my transmission temperatures lowered. My fan stays off now, where before, it ran nonstop. I love the extra 2 mpg.:drink I moved it to my LBZ, and now I will tow only with it.

I really just like the idea that I improved a number of things at once, with one deal, without removing anything that is stock.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I agree with Mike. Use synthetic fluid.

I had the same concern. For me, as soon as i added cooling capacity in the form of an engine oil cooler with the air dam, my transmission temperatures lowered. My fan stays off now, where before, it ran nonstop. I love the extra 2 mpg.:drink I moved it to my LBZ, and now I will tow only with it.

I really just like the idea that I improved a number of things at once, with one deal, without removing anything that is stock.
Smells like killerbee to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts