Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought that upgrade kit's were thousands of dollars for a Stage I. PPE sells one for the allison that's 470.00 for 450HP at the flywheel. And then theres the Transgo shift kit for 150.00. If I buy a PPE programmer and run it on the 90HP setting. Which one of these would be best for me to buy? Keep in mind I'm not racing or towing...I might punch it every once in a while to pass someone..but that's about it. I just want better gas mileage. The price of diesel is now 3.09 here.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
well doing a valve body and shift kit is great but then your stock TC is not going to like to much extra hp either so i would do a stage I or II with the 1056 TC and your set for 400 to 500rwhp and a long tranny life..just my thoughts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is TC a turbo charger?

·
Registered
855 Posts
torque converter:)

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel like an idiot. But heres another question...the only torque converter I can find is a Five speed for 1,300.00. Don't I need a 6 speed for my six speed allison? Plus I have the Manual/Auto feature...will that change anything? And is there a cheaper one?

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
Look at suncoast.

ryan

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just checked suncoast out...the guy on the phone said 2,300.00 if I don't want to limp my tranny. That plus a programmer and install is alot of green.

·
Registered
53 Posts
if you are only going to add the extra 90hp and not go over, you are not drag racing, doing boosted launched, or pulling your truck. you may get by without anything at least for a good while, but the transgo jr would probably be alright, torque converter would be a nice addition.

torque converter as far as i know are the same for 5sp and 6sp, i dont know why they would be different. for that matter what adds the extra gear is a different valve body and tcm. allison transmission used a combination of clutch pacs to get its gears.

1st gear c1 and c5
2nd gear c1 and c4
3rd gear c1 and c3
4th gear c1 and c2
5th gear c2 and c3

6th gear c2 and c4

mike l or some of the other tranny gurus could probably give you a better answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bully Dog enhancer

I installed the BD enhancer and was blown away for the first 500 miles then the computer learned the kit and went back to the way it was before.
I am looking for a new upgrade now to stop the slipping.

I am stacked with Super Chip 150hp and the Edge w/attitiude, 4" exhaust, afe intake and Fassfuel 150gph pump.
Could run 14.80 sec. 1/4 mile at 4000 feet.
But not anymore with the trans the way it is now !!
Any body have any sugestions?
:drink

1 - 12 of 12 Posts