Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was driven home from work and I went to pass a car and gave it a little punch on the pedal, not to the floor, and I heard a clunk from somewhere. After I passed the car I realized that my truck would not shift higher than 4th gear. I even put it in M and tried but it wouldn't. I pulled over and killed it and when I restarted it it read Range Shift Inhibited on the DIC. When I put it into Drive the truck wouldn't move at all. I killed it again and waited about a minute then started it again and everything has been fine since. Ive been running a bully dog triple dog on extreme for mileage but haven't got on it hard but maybe once or twice.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Sometimes it doesn't take much to limp it. Out of curiosity, how much is the triple dog rated on extreme. I know for the most part, it only takes about 85-100 extra hp to limp a tranny. Another thing to take into account is the bigger wheels and tires...they put more of a strain on the tranny.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think on extreme it is rated at 138 hp. I think that is RWHP but I'm not sure. How many limps does it take to trash an ally? This is the second time that it has happened.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Each time you limp it, it does some damage. How many times does it take to trash it? I'm not too sure on that, but I know I have read that guys have limped their tranny over 20 times and it is still going. After the first time limping it, it gets easier and easier. Look at it this way, your engine is rated at 360 hp or there abouts...you are adding over 130 hp....that's quite an increase. You are adding about 260 lb/ft of torque with that. The allison is handling it for the most part, but that is still a tall order on a stock tranny.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
well i ran 500rwhp thru my stock allison for about 4 months and it wouldn't have been much longer before it went kaboom,runnin on that high setting i would say you can do it for quite a while but one day it mite surprise but it be a week from now or year from now so what i'm trying to say is start saving a lttle cash every month for the next year and then do a stage 3 or stage 4 tranny and that will take care of all your issues..also if you wanted to run it below 90hp extra and you could probalily run it for years like that..hope this helps and again this is only my thoughts.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i run my programmer on supposedly 225 extra horses and i have never limped my tranny and me only being 17 years old i am on it all teh time racing from light to light and occasionally on teh freeway but i would not worry about it to much just my thoughts

·
Registered
121 Posts
whats the hp limit with a suncoast stage 4/allison 6 speed transmission? stock i think its like 85-100hp but what about with a stage 4 upgrade?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
with the stage IV and the bigger torque you can handle more then the stock engine internals can..the stage IV is the way to go for a built tranny with the 1057 torque converter from sun coast..

·
Registered
262 Posts
how much is that whole kit

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Check it out here: http://www.suncoastconverters.com/gmc/gm_products.html

According to their site, it is about $2800 for the kit (not installed). You might be able to get a good package deal from a local dealer. I'm sure that if you called suncoast, they would refer you to someone that sells locally to you.

·
Registered
262 Posts
thanks i might have to look into that

·
Registered
680 Posts
Stage iv or v is the complete trans from suncoast? For about 2800? What is the difference between one of those, and taking the stock alli and putting a tq converter, valve body, and possible a shift kit? Wouldn't that way be cheaper? Also in the latest dp mag, they did an article on the hot +2, if I can remember all that was done to the alli was a converter, and an ats controller.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Stage IV is a kit that needs to be installed. I believe the stage V is a complete unit that you install and send your tranny back as core (or trade it out).

What you are talking about is a little cheaper, but to have a near bulletproof set-up, you need to change the clutches too. There isn't much benifit from changing the valve body unless you have the 5 speed and want to make it a 6 speed. The valve body comes with a shift kit already install in most cases. In stock form, the converter is the weak link...once you fix that with a new TC, the clutches start to slip. Also, that ATS controller has a comma in the pricetag, so you wouldn't be saving a whole lot going that route.

I just checked that DP magazine issue also..they said all they were running on the tranny was a converter and the copilot...those together are about 2600. (TC is 1400 and copilot for a 5 speed is 1200) Now, if you have limped your tranny already before upgrades, then you should do the clutch packs too. so, the suncoast kit isn't that bad of a deal....you just don't have the lock-up controller. That can be fixed with EFI live for about 5-700. Then you can change parameters in the allison...to what extent, I am not real sure, but I am hoping to have a chance to find out here soon.

Moral of the story....you want to play, you will pay.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Moral of the story....you want to play, you will pay.
Ditto..but is it fun to stomp fast cars with a 1ton dually..:drink :fart :gearjamin :rockin

·
Registered
262 Posts
your tranny can handle alot just dont ask to much of the stocker

·
Registered
484 Posts
If I had to do it again, I would get the latest greatest converter on the market, red alto clutches, and an ATS co-pilot. I have a Suncoast Stage 4 kit in mine, but it has some rough shifts now and again. I've been in a couple of ATS equipped trucks and they seemed much smoother (stock like) going through the gears.

·
Registered
262 Posts
yah but you dont wan tsmooth you want it to hit hard so you know it is still working haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts