Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
9,509 Posts
Sometimes it doesn't take much to limp it. Out of curiosity, how much is the triple dog rated on extreme. I know for the most part, it only takes about 85-100 extra hp to limp a tranny. Another thing to take into account is the bigger wheels and tires...they put more of a strain on the tranny.

· Premium Member
9,509 Posts
Each time you limp it, it does some damage. How many times does it take to trash it? I'm not too sure on that, but I know I have read that guys have limped their tranny over 20 times and it is still going. After the first time limping it, it gets easier and easier. Look at it this way, your engine is rated at 360 hp or there abouts...you are adding over 130 hp....that's quite an increase. You are adding about 260 lb/ft of torque with that. The allison is handling it for the most part, but that is still a tall order on a stock tranny.

· Premium Member
9,509 Posts
Check it out here: http://www.suncoastconverters.com/gmc/gm_products.html

According to their site, it is about $2800 for the kit (not installed). You might be able to get a good package deal from a local dealer. I'm sure that if you called suncoast, they would refer you to someone that sells locally to you.

· Premium Member
9,509 Posts
Stage IV is a kit that needs to be installed. I believe the stage V is a complete unit that you install and send your tranny back as core (or trade it out).

What you are talking about is a little cheaper, but to have a near bulletproof set-up, you need to change the clutches too. There isn't much benifit from changing the valve body unless you have the 5 speed and want to make it a 6 speed. The valve body comes with a shift kit already install in most cases. In stock form, the converter is the weak link...once you fix that with a new TC, the clutches start to slip. Also, that ATS controller has a comma in the pricetag, so you wouldn't be saving a whole lot going that route.

I just checked that DP magazine issue also..they said all they were running on the tranny was a converter and the copilot...those together are about 2600. (TC is 1400 and copilot for a 5 speed is 1200) Now, if you have limped your tranny already before upgrades, then you should do the clutch packs too. so, the suncoast kit isn't that bad of a deal....you just don't have the lock-up controller. That can be fixed with EFI live for about 5-700. Then you can change parameters in the allison...to what extent, I am not real sure, but I am hoping to have a chance to find out here soon.

Moral of the story....you want to play, you will pay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.