Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if you could take a Ford Tranny and put it on a Duramax?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard from people around my town an they all swear the ford trannys are amazing. an i know some of y'all on here will me for asking but i was curious and if I'm needed to get a new tranny soon an want an upgraded one but am working on a budget so i can't go blowing major bills for the most bad ass thing out their>

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
They are ALL kidding you--- there is no better diesel trans than the Allison--period!

Don't even consider it! LOL

·
Registered
319 Posts
To keep it cheap and all GM, put in a Turbo 400 or Powerglide. A fully built one will run you around $1100 plus converter.

·
Registered
347 Posts
the 700R4's or 4L60E have been known to handle some massive numbers. you can find em at junk yards. Maybe even a g.m 10 bolt if your 11.5 breaks.

·
Banned
17,252 Posts
To keep it cheap and all GM, put in a Turbo 400 or Powerglide. A fully built one will run you around $1100 plus converter.
the 700R4's or 4L60E have been known to handle some massive numbers. you can find em at junk yards. Maybe even a g.m 10 bolt if your 11.5 breaks.
None of those transmissions will handle the amount of TQ diesels see.

4l60e? You got to be kidding me. Thats the trans my colorado has. 6l80 wont even cut it either.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm joking. I figured you would have caught on by the 10 bolt part.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Being serious.. Yes they make adapter plates for anything now days. But any trans behind a diesel that's not stock isn't gonna hold up any better than a Allison period. Best bet is to save your money and have a Suncoast built and be done with it. I have had Suncoast trans in my Fords and never had a problem. And once my Allison starts having problems I will have 1 in it also.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Those 6.4 trans have been known to hold 550 hp all day long. Might be a good substitute but if I was going to go through all that trouble I'd just build the Allison.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Being serious.. Yes they make adapter plates for anything now days. But any trans behind a diesel that's not stock isn't gonna hold up any better than a Allison period. Best bet is to save your money and have a Suncoast built and be done with it. I have had Suncoast trans in my Fords and never had a problem. And once my Allison starts having problems I will have 1 in it also.
Well those 5r110's seem to hold a lot more power stock than the allison's do stock... Not knocking the allison, but just saying in stock form it doesnt seem to hold up near as well behind a modded Dmax vs the Torqueshift, behind say a modded 6.4

But im not saying that its worth the trouble to swap, just rebuild the allison an you will be good to go.

·
Banned
17,252 Posts
Well those 5r110's seem to hold a lot more power stock than the allison's do stock... Not knocking the allison, but just saying in stock form it doesnt seem to hold up near as well behind a modded Dmax vs the Torqueshift, behind say a modded 6.4

But im not saying that its worth the trouble to swap, just rebuild the allison an you will be good to go.
The main difference between a 5r110 and an allison is that the 5r110 has the ablility to increase line pressure to the clutches, with tuning. An allison's line pressure can only be increased with hard parts inside the transmisison.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I have a friend with a Harley Davidson F350 2010 with 39k on it that has been in the shop for a tranny already because of modding power. They break as well!

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
I have a friend with a Harley Davidson F350 2010 with 39k on it that has been in the shop for a tranny already because of modding power. They break as well!
One guy tells me they hold 700hp and never fail.

The next guy tells me they fail with the smallest tune and all his friends go through transmissions every 20-50k miles.

What's the deal here?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Blasphemy:beat, no really. The only way this could be any cheaper is if you got a free furd tranny laying around. Still gotta be cheaper to build a ally than buy/install a turdsift. Just my .02:thumb

·
Registered
158 Posts
My boss has a 7.3 powerjoke and 200,000mi on his second transmission.... so yea
Also that is a 4R100 which aren't near as strong as the 5R110, which I was referring to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts