Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished changing the trans oil filter (external) and wouldn't you know it? The stupid dealership did not put the magnet on the last fliter they installed.

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
Mine did the same thing...when I called them out on it (the next time I changed it) they said that it wasnt supposed to have one. I had them look it up at the parts counter. I showed them that it was supposed to have one. "well all be darned, there is supposed to be one there." is all they said. They had to order one for me. it came in and then they said they would put it on. I said no thanks....i will do it myself.

·
Registered
784 Posts
yeah samething my first oil change no mmagnet at least they are cheap

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
So typical of a dealership hand you shoddy work and then sling you a line of b.s.When I bought my truck the dealership thru in 3 free oil and lube jobs so by the time I changed the oil and greased the front end it was the first time those fittings ever saw grease.Now at 19K miles my balljoints (I think) creak while turning sharply backing out of my driveway.Never going back,time to VOID that warrenty with some EFI LIVE.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
It is very frustrating finding out your dealer or local lube shop are dopes! If you find that your magnet is missing I keep approx 25 in stock at all times.

I have great prices on the Allison spin on filter and the filter maint package we offer is a fantastic deal for those doing their own maintenance. You get the filter maint package and add a magnet for less than a just a fuel filter from the dealer.

Magnets

Allison Spin-on

Duramax Filter Maint Pkg

·
Registered
222 Posts
My 2cents, i took mine for a deep pan to 4X4 national shop cause the head mechanic had a Duramax and he told me he would clean the magnet with new external and internal. I checked it 3k later, no magnet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is the purpose of the magnet? I just bought my Chevy truck and had the trans fluid and filters changed at the dealership. I am new to the Duramax and Allison trans.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I had the same thing happen the last time I let the dealership service my truck. I made sure that was the last time they did as well. I went in and told them that they missed it, and they did give me a magnet (to their credit). But if I do the work myself I know it is done correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
What is the purpose of the magnet? I just bought my Chevy truck and had the trans fluid and filters changed at the dealership. I am new to the Duramax and Allison trans.
The magnet is located on top of the spin-on filter so when the fluid flows into the filter the magnet pulls any ferrous metals out of the fluid before it goes through the filter.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Sometimes you just have to do the job yourself to know it was done right!!!!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Any online sources for the magnet for anyone that needs one?

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
If you have the extra flo'.....I would look into the re-usable filters.....they are kinda pricey, but they have built in magnets.....like 2 of them that catch all metal shavings/etc... I might invest in some myself...

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
If you have the extra flo'.....I would look into the re-usable filters.....they are kinda pricey, but they have built in magnets.....like 2 of them that catch all metal shavings/etc... I might invest in some myself...
If you do a cost analysis on them you can buy 24 Allison spin-ons and not have to clean them against 1 reusable and you have to clean it every time. If you break that down my miles and you change the Allison spin-on every 15k miles that is 360k miles before you break even money wise on the reusable filter. Many people don't keep their trucks that long. Just some food for thought for those reasearching reusable filters.

·
Registered
546 Posts
That is a damn good deal! I have a BD bypass fuel filter that uses a Donaldson P551311. Can you get this filter or one that cross references? Price?

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
I purchased a spare magnet and keep it in with the new filter-- so when I change-- I use the filter and new magnet. The clean the old one and keep it with the new filter. East to forget the magnet when changing the filter-- so this is a good reminder. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts