Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my truck for a few months. I just changed the trans fluid (it was very dark) and now when I'm driving around town my transmission is heating up. If I put my truck in tow/haul mode and the T/C is locked the transmission temps drop back down after a while......

It was about 62 degree's outside today. Cruising down the freeway it stays at 150 or so. But once I get in town and drive around a while its gets up between 175-185 or so. I checked the level at 150 and it was right at full. At 185 it was just over full... Should I take some fluid out?? Am I just freaking out for no reason??

Also one more issue to add to this I drove up in a hilly area and when I got to the top my trans was only at 185 but when I got out it smelt kinda hot... Any input would be great. Thanks everyone!

·
oldschool
3,351 Posts
My truck runs at about 185 average when its warmed up

it will get over 200 going up the mountain roads on a hot day unloaded

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
ok i was wondering the same it usually is around 150-185 running through the gears on a normal day without t/h

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Normal operating temps is 160-200 stop and go like in town will make it be higher. mine usually is around 185-200.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
thanks for the info kman

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the replies :) I guess I'm just worrying about my truck for no reason. But do you think I should take a bit of trans fluid out??? When I say it's over full at 185 its like 1/16 of a inch over the full mark. Thanks again everyone, I love this forum!!

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
You should drain some out- ! It has been proven that if the Allison is run when the level is at, or near the top, of the hash marks, the trans will run higher temperatures than normal. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will get it done and report back.... Not that anyone cares but I'm sure it could help someone out in the future!

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
It tends to get oxygenated when too full. Think foamy. Not nearly as effective as normal fluid and gets trans gets hot.

Same thing with oil. You'll see less oil pressure with overfills.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drained some fluid out and then drove about 50 miles around town today and it stayed at 170 with me driving bad and trying to make it heat up.... Also it's about 15 degrees warmer here today (75) than yesterday as well.... So over all I think that was the problem. Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts