Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9000 miles ago the bell housing cracked on my trans had it repaired now the housing is cracked again and another 2000$ gone I have a 2002 3500 and was wondering if this should be happening every 5 months? Also ... there was only 1 bolt on the bottom of the housing what could have caused the others to have stripped out.... thanks for any info

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Have you replaced your u-joints? Your u-joints could be causing a vibration which leads to a cracked bell housing or output area crack. For it to happen again, maybe the person that put it in forgot to either torque the bolts right, didn't use any locktite, or maybe not even put them in again. (It is always a possibility) I haven't heard of many bell housings cracking, but that doesn't mean there aren't more out there that are cracked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the first time this happened there was apparent vibration when taking off but I did not realize that was not normal for diesel trucks having bought it used and had no experience driving one.There was no vibration this time nor do I believe the u-joints went bad as they are not loose now and I also checked them when I changed the oil--2000 miles ago. Could anything have caused the bolts to strip out--It had been driving like a champ but I am starting to have my doubts----the truck had 84000 the first time and 93000 now---thanks for the info

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
torque converter

I made a mistake and assumed that it was the trans bell housing it turned out to be the torque converter housing. The crack was from the bottom to the top...the dust cover was gone and there was just one bolt at the bottom don't know yet if the others were stripped out what could have caused the crack and do I need to replace the converter or just replace the cover? Can you tell the converter is in bad shape just by looking through the dust cover? The truck was shifting fine before I noticed the crack 2 days ago. How long should it take to remove and replace...just curious....thanks for any info 2002 chevy 3500 4x4

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi I have changed a few of these now except that they all have been in excab shortboxs and u-joints were siezed. Also one shook so bad it broke housing on back of engine before trans give up. just for info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update on tranny

the guys at the shop said the bolt out of the housing probably led to the crack in the converter housing they said the bolt stripped out of a heli-coil insert. That housing-a spacer between- and another housing are cracked.I bought the truck used and have no idea what troubles happened previously.The thing is finding the housing parts......I won't know anything until monday when I check back with the shop... they seem to be trying their best...out

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
If you are having a hard time finding the housing, contact Eric Merchant (dmaxallitech) on this forum or just go straight to his site (gmdieseltech.com) and he has his phone number on there. That would probably be your best bet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts