Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to look at an 07 3500 this weekend. Truck looks in great condition and we will both be traveling 3 hrs to meet and look at each others trucks. I have asked about some history and was told injectors 190,000 miles and new TQ converter last year. Should I assume there were trans problems and run or is just replacing a TC normal. I am assuming as long as the TC didn't come apart I should not worry about crap floating into the rest of the trans or I should run LOL Truck supposedly has a single tune that can only be changed with a laptop. has about 220,000 miles.
Input thoughts ?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If only the converter was changed, you can expect trans problems since it has a tuner.
Mike, I don't believe the TCM was tuned just a tow tune installed probably through EFI live. Knowing you're the respected trans-Authority do you have an idea of what issues I may run into right away or things to look for that would accelerate me getting the trans gone through sooner than later?. I am looking to use this truck to haul 14500# Loaded Toy hauler 5-6 times through the summer

Thank you
Scott

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I meant an engine tune. The Allison does not like any kind of a tuner unless it is built. I'm not saying you will have trans problems, but it is more likely than not because of the mileage and engine tune.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,247 Posts
So I am going to look at an 07 3500 this weekend. Truck looks in great condition and we will both be traveling 3 hrs to meet and look at each others trucks. I have asked about some history and was told injectors 190,000 miles and new TQ converter last year. Should I assume there were trans problems and run or is just replacing a TC normal. I am assuming as long as the TC didn't come apart I should not worry about crap floating into the rest of the trans or I should run LOL Truck supposedly has a single tune that can only be changed with a laptop. has about 220,000 miles.
Input thoughts ?
You're describing my LBZ to a tee....except my miles are far greater.
Rob's single tow tune (for the Turbo Brake wake up), towing heavy daily it's whole life, and 200k of those with the tow tune. Virtually every mile on the truck was towing heavy with TH engaged (TC locked).

Several years back, I got into a situation in a subdivision involving too steep of terrain and too much weight. (GCW 28k)

Had a burning smell around the truck afterwards. And as time progressed, under load (28-32k) and climbing/accelerating at hwy speeds, occasionally the TC was showing signs of slipping (revs jumping). Also was showing some wetness around the bung hole on the case (figured either from the TC or the front seal).

I would get out of it a bit when it happened, and continue on. This went on for many years/miles, nursing it along as it wasn't a constant and there was never any codes thrown (although experts claimed there should be).

As time went on, Blew an up pipe bellows (no turbo action) and decided to yank the trans for better access for the new ups and down pipe, and take the opportunity to install a new and stronger TC (rated for the LML).

It was also time to refresh the TES-295 fluid (100k miles), so that was timely too.

No internal debris was found, took 18 qts of fluid (versus the 8qts on a pan drain/drop fluid service), and I couldn't be happier with the performance of the new TC, with fresh fluid and the RDL pipes.

Shifts are tight and strong climbing grades-moving off the line, and she flies running bobtail (after the pipe upgrades). New TC is rated above where I'm at with torque on Rob's tow tune.

15-20k miles now, and everything is peachy. :neener

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Rob's single tow tune (for the Turbo Brake wake up), towing heavy daily it's whole life, and 200k of those with the tow tune. Virtually every mile on the truck was towing heavy with TH engaged (TC locked).

Several years back, I got into a situation in a subdivision involving too steep of terrain and too much weight. (GCW 28k)

Had a burning smell around the truck afterwards. And as time progressed, under load (28-32k) and climbing/accelerating at hwy speeds, occasionally the TC was showing signs of slipping (revs jumping). Also was showing some wetness around the bung hole on the case (figured either from the TC or the front seal).

I would get out of it a bit when it happened, and continue on. This went on for many years/miles, nursing it along as it wasn't a constant and there was never any codes thrown (although experts claimed there should be).

As time went on, Blew an up pipe bellows (no turbo action) and decided to yank the trans for better access for the new ups and down pipe, and take the opportunity to install a new and stronger TC (rated for the LML).

It was also time to refresh the TES-295 fluid (100k miles), so that was timely too.

No internal debris was found, took 18 qts of fluid (versus the 8qts on a pan drain/drop fluid service), and I couldn't be happier with the performance of the new TC, with fresh fluid and the RDL pipes.

Shifts are tight and strong climbing grades-moving off the line, and she flies running bobtail (after the pipe upgrades). New TC is rated above where I'm at with torque on Rob's tow tune.

My current rig was tuned from ATP with DSP 5 at 179,000 miles. I never have put into position 5 and Don't think I have had it in 4 for the last 6 months and the truck is usually in 3 or 1. I am probably an exception to the rule. When I rebuilt transmissions for ZF way back when it was common that if the TC took a crap we performed a rebuild because shit generally went through the pump and the rest of the trans. I didn't ask what all had been done when the TC was replaced. I just know he said it was replaced with a triple disk TC. I know its always a crapshoot and I am still teetering on keeping my truck and just upgrading the axle to a DUALLY and then throwing in injectors and some trans work and know My truck's history is solid. I just know that after hooking up 15,000# behind it this last summer I didn't like the way mine felt. Trans shifted HARD, much different then what I have been used too. One of those things where you get used to something and then when it's different you start to worry. The Allinson trans shifts different to me anyways or at least mine does. under light load its as if its a stick shift there is a slight pause ( not a slipping RPM ) its just like you through the clutch in between shifts. If you get on it hard through all gears it's not noticeable but under light acceleration 2-4 I feel it. ( hard to describe.)

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,515 Posts

you said 'bung hole' :D

Maybe they just replaced it because of a converter shudder? I've had two LBZ trucks that had a converter shudder, and it was not just from tuning it because it was there before it was tuned. Now, I can't say that neither one was tuned before I got it, but one truck was a 100k mile-stock as stock could be right down to the replacement parts-all work done at the GM dealer-farm truck that had ALL service records with it. The truck I have now had much higher miles but was still stock across the board. They both had a converter shudder in stock form while towing uphill under load with my trailer and other truck or hay or whatever. Could be the reason for it 'dunno; But, I would also listen to what MikeL has to say- he's a lot better trans guy than I ever will be, and has been into more Allison transmissions than I could even think of

1 - 7 of 7 Posts