Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take to remove and replace a trans? I am also going to have a down pipe installed while the trans is out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I had my trans built I was there at 8:30am and my trans was done at 5pm. It all depends on who your having do it, shops that work with Allison transmissions a lot can do it in one day.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was that rebuilding your trans or just swapping yours out?

·
Registered
254 Posts
That was a full rebuild. If your just swapping out it shouldn't even take a day.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I figured about six hours. The guy I spoke to on the phone at the shop that is doing it said around ten hours

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
10 hours for R&R only? Is he doing it without a lift and with frequent beer breaks?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well feel free to have the thread deleted it you don't approve of me asking in more than one forum.

·
Registered
362 Posts
When I had mine done, I was told 8-10hrs by 3 different shops that do it regularly. If there is a build going in it then I think it was 12-14hrs.
That is what they were charging at their shop rate. Now if they put 2 techs on the job they could shorten the total time the machine is down, but you would still have that many man hours into the job.

I paid $1000+fuild/filters/gasket for the R&R of the allison and a down pipe on my 08 4x4, It went in at 8am and out the next day at 2pm. I think they said it took a little under an hour for the down pipe with the tranny out. I went under the truck with the tranny out and the down pipe still looked a little trapped in place.

Given how heavy these transmissions are, I was glad I did not do it myself on my back without a lift.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
R&R with a already done trans and a down pipe. 4 hours

·
Registered
89 Posts
My buddy who runs a tranny shop in my area quotes me 3-4 hours to remove, replace rear extension housing and re-install. As for ten hours, I have that time or less into doing the job 100% on my own, garage floor on stands with no tranny jack. Any experienced shop can do it easily in 4 hours max especially if they've done it before, however if their computer calls for 10 hours, that's what they'll charge... welcome to flat rate my friend lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts