Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the dealer to get a spin on filter for my trans and the guy hands over an ACDelco box and I was kind like huh? And asked him if they sold Allison brand filters and he said no, Allison is owned by GM and this is the only filter they supply us with. Is this info correct? Am I safe to use this ACDelco brand filter or should I look for an Allison brand filter?

·
Registered
505 Posts
The first time back in 05 I used a dealer supplied filter. It cost me about $30. When I opened the box I found a $10 Allison filter so I guess the AC Delco box cost $20. You will most likely find the filter will actually be an Allison filter. They are much cheaper to buy from an Allison dealer. Do not forget the magnet. It will most likely be on the top of the old filter. Be sure to clean it off and transfer to new filter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i got an ac one from the dealer then took it back when i found the allison one for a quarter of the price

·
Registered
532 Posts
The first time back in 05 I used a dealer supplied filter. It cost me about $30. When I opened the box I found a $10 Allison filter so I guess the AC Delco box cost $20. You will most likely find the filter will actually be an Allison filter. They are much cheaper to buy from an Allison dealer. Do not forget the magnet. It will most likely be on the top of the old filter. Be sure to clean it off and transfer to new filter.
:rofl it's actually $20 shipping & handling...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yeah I went to dealer as well expecting they'd have have Allison filters, no dice, acdelco filter was 26 bucks.... I ended up picking up an Allison for 10 bucks in the city

·
Registered
182 Posts
So where do you go to find a Allison filter does anyone on here sell them?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yes, several vendor's here have them.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Vendors on here or just go on Allison's website and do a dealer search In your area

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well finally found the filter I was looking for. I called the local Allison place this morning for Transynd and they told me they had it, then I asked about the spin-on filter and they told me I had to go across the street to the dealership. So I went to the dealership expecting the Allison brand spin-on but they just had the ACDelco, opened the box and it was blue not red. The parts guy told me there's no such thing as an Allison brand filter...I went back into the truck and did a bit of searching online and found the part number for the Allison filter I knew existed. Called the Allison place back and just gave them the part number and they told me they had it. So I picked that up and back across the street to return the ACDelco one I had bought...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Well finally found the filter I was looking for. I called the local Allison place this morning for Transynd and they told me they had it, then I asked about the spin-on filter and they told me I had to go across the street to the dealership. So I went to the dealership expecting the Allison brand spin-on but they just had the ACDelco, opened the box and it was blue not red. The parts guy told me there's no such thing as an Allison brand filter...I went back into the truck and did a bit of searching online and found the part number for the Allison filter I knew existed. Called the Allison place back and just gave them the part number and they told me they had it. So I picked that up and back across the street to return the ACDelco one I had bought...

maybe allison doesn't make their filters but they put their name on them!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
yah that guy obviously doesn't have a clue about allisons
No, that whole dealership is just fucked. When I called to ask if they sold Transynd the guy told me they only use Dex IV...seems like a good way to have people in to replace their seals. And way back I was having issues with my torque converter locking and it would give me a CEL, so I had them hook up a tech 2. The service manager did this for me and read the TCM, told me 100* (trans temp, not coolant) was too cold for the converter to lockup and I needed to let my truck warm up:cookoo[1]:

Like fuck if you don't know what you're talking about, don't just pull fuck outta your ass.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
woosaaa! ^^^^ I would stop going there IMMEDIATELY

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did a long time ago when they screwed me around, it's just when I spoke to the guy on the phone he made it sound like the filter was an Allison brand. I took the truck in there the last time because I had the security light on when I added cruise control. The tech told me it was because I had an aftermarket ECM and the only way to fix was to buy a new ECM at $1200 and have the reflash the truck. He charged me $80 to tell me I have an aftermarket ECM.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I was told on here that the TC wont lock until it warms up to 95* or so. So he kinda did know what he was talking about...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was told on here that the TC wont lock until it warms up to 95* or so. So he kinda did know what he was talking about...
Mine locks up currently at 87* and it shouldn't throw a code because of that anyways.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
my trans works just fine and barely leaves the 100* mark if it does at all

·
Registered
613 Posts
Mine locks up currently at 87* and it shouldn't throw a code because of that anyways.
hey andy glad you found filters at allison. thats where i got mine for 7 dollars. dont shoot me but i think tony reccomends DEX fluid in his built trans. might be a good idea to check with him. did you ever sell the exhaust?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine were a little more than $7, a little closer to $23 with tax...I already did contact him as I was going to order some things from Amsoil including torque drive answer just wanted to be sure. He told me to use Transynd. No I didn't, I unfortunately had to hack it apart to get it off the truck...sorry I never got back to you

1 - 20 of 27 Posts