Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the transmission temp to check the fluid level in the 10 speed Allison?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Should have a cold level check and warm temp check. Warm temp usually around 50-60 degrees above ambient

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should have a cold level check and warm temp check. Warm temp usually around 50-60 degrees above ambient
The 10sp has no dipstick but uses a small plug in the pan to determine the level. Having had other auto trans with this method, the temp required for a proper check is usually pretty warm and very narrow in temp. I just want to get the correct temp. I have seen several different temps posted on forums, just need to be sure I get the correct temps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best info I can find is the level check temp is "167*F to 176*F". I still haven't seen an official document to prove that, but a guy on another forum claims to be a GM Tech provided that info. I guess I will have to get online and try to download as much maintenance/service data from GMSi or similar. I bought a CD on Ebay that is ok, but lacking. Helm won't have a book until 2023 or 2024 for the 2021 Silverados. And who know when Haynes, etc will have anything. I can't wait that long for Helm, and trying to find info online otherwise is impossible.

The Russians have come through for me in the past where I got a complete manual for several of my vehicles for no cost. If anyone has a 2015 Tundra, I think I still have a copy, I can send you one if you like.

This forum should have a maintenance data page.

Thanks to those who have tried to help me with this question.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So the bolt on the pan must have a tube that is on the other side of it? The tube length indicates where proper fill height is? Just trying to understand how you check level with a bolt on the bottom of a pan and cant find any pics of the 10spd pan on interweb.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the bolt on the pan must have a tube that is on the other side of it? The tube length indicates where proper fill height is? Just trying to understand how you check level with a bolt on the bottom of a pan and cant find any pics of the 10spd pan on interweb.
Yes, vehicles that use this system for level check are all the same. It is a standoff tube inside the pan to determine the level. Unlike a dipstick where you can measure cold and hot levels you can only measure at hot temps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts