Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Chevy 2500hd
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple weeks ago i finished my trans build. At the same time i installed a pump rub kit. T case looked fine then and i refilled with Amsoil 5w-30. Then my rear shaft seal started to leak for the 3rd time so i figured i needed to replace the bushing in the tail housing. Because i already replaced the yoke with a nickel plated one. I pulled the tcase out only to find the pump is pretty messed up. I figured the pump rub kit (which was a amazon knock off) was bad. So i ordered a Merchant pump and a rub kit. But after inspecting the yoke it has scratches deep enough to catch a fingernail. Am i gonna need to replace that again? Is there something inside the tcase that is allowing too much play? Making the seal, bushing and pump go out? Everything else looks good. The case has some pump rub but other than that i cant see bad wear anywhere.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, when the TC runs dry from the pump rub issue it wears out the bearings, shaft splines and stretches the chain and all of that can create a lot of slop resulting in driveline vibration. I'm going through all of this right now on my LLY. When I spoke to Merchant Automotive they informed me that the slip will often cause the rear bushing to become unseated and you'll lose fluid that way and not just through a hole in the TC casing. Mine is getting a new TC, nickel slip yoke, all four u joints, new TC to transmission gasket, and two quarts of their TC fluid.

·
Registered
2005 Chevy 2500hd
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So mine never rubbed through. I just installed the kit for preventive measures. I am gonna replace the pump, bushing seal fluid and i am buying a new nickel plated yoke. I hope that fixes it. If it goes out again i will rebuild the TC. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts