Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i went to pick my truck up at the shop this morning, and crawled under to do my inspection and noticed the output shaft seal on the tcase was leaking. I asked them to replace it and they did. That was the second new one i had changed it once before, and im positive its not the slip yoke. Any ideas on what it is? 02 duramax 4x4 manual transfer case. Only 300 miles since the tcase was rebuilt.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The lip on the back of the seal has a spring and some times they pop out when you hammer them in. I usually pack it with grease to prevent it from popping out.

Kmac

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok update on that. I had it there originally for the tailshaft housing due to previous transfer case failure. Made it 20 miles from the shop this morning heard a bang and pulled over. Crawled underneath and saw my front u joint mangled and my bell housing was destroyed. Im assuming its their fault am i correct?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeahthe front drive line has to com off to do the transfercase. But if all they did was the tail housing then the front drive line stays on.

Kmac

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant the front u joint on the rear drive shaft sorry. They took out the transmission to replace the tailshaft housing correctly

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tailshaft housing on the transmission (tcase extension housing)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I dont know then. They should have just dlid the yolk out of the t case. But if the took the ujoint apart then i would say thats their baby.

Kmac

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Probably not a coincidence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts