Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I leave a red light or come to a stop i get a clunk so i crawled under the truck and had my buddy put it in drive and the drive shaft slides in and out like 3 it 4 inches...any fixes or do I need to look at replacing? Also what year cases are the same as my 05

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
they are mean't to slide in and out, for when the suspension is working, but just putting it in drive....and 4 inches?! I would be looking further back, maybe you have something wrong with your suspension in the rear.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
There is a common problem with the driveshaft-- when you leave a stop, there will be a small bump, like someone bumped in the back. The fix for this is to remove the driveshaft and now mark how they are cpnnected-- separate the two pieces. Clean the splines and the yoke-- I use carburator/choke cleaner. Then relube the splines-- do not pack the yoke with grease-- it has to move.

This will help the bump-- but none of the parts should move "4 inches". A broken spring center pin/bolt can allow the rear axle to slide on the spring, and move a lot. If someone follows you, and it is "Dog tracking" that is usually the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks...also I just had a lift put on about three months ago and its gotten worse since then

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bet the rear end is wraping the springs , You got got big tall lift blocks ? that will do it bro

·
Registered
699 Posts
blocks suck, too many issues arise afterwards, traction bars or springs

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Traction bars necessary for 2" lift blocks? Thinking about building some.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
go to cognito motorsports they have springs i dont think there to expensive either and traction bars there are like 360 i think

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I could get steel dirt cheap. Just would need tabs. What benefit would it be for a truck that might never hook a sled?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What do I need to check? There is no side to side play in the drive shaft....and no matter how soft I am on the throttle I get a thump

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
does the drive shaft sit flush with the dust cover on the transfer case or set back alittle?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Is there any aparent fluid leak? I had a little bit of a bump in my truck when I cracked my tail housing. But there was an obvious fluid leak from that one... Pull your driveshaft out and push up on the farthest back point of the transfer case. If you can move the case at all I would suspect the tail housing on the transmission. It may be tough to see but crawl up under there with a flash light and a rag and make sure you dont see any cracks.

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
traction bars dude plus you can launch hard as shit with them

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm gonna put bars on my truck when I get the money and it's staying stock height.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Round tubing or square tubing? I can get round chrome plated tubing or plain tubing for $.08/lb at work.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would first check your u bolts sounds like they are loose unless I'm reading this wrong. Re torque em.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 25 Posts