Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i went to see why my 4wd isnt working. Figured i would start with fluid. Opened the plug and 2 drips came out :( Went to fill it up and got 3/4 of a quart in and it started coming out through some grease on the side. Got 2 little holes in it. How can i fix them? Apoxy? Help please.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I suspect you will need a rebuild. If there was no fluid in it, you trashed the internals. Also, with the holes in the case, you are going to al least need a new tail-shaft. But until you open it up, you can't really tell if the rest of the case is any good. Probably time to start looking around for a new or used TC.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's actually a pretty common problem, there is al oil pump splash guard or something of the sorts that moves around and creates the hole, chances are epoxy won't seal it up completely, but it may help.

We've replace multiple t-fer cases because of this.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i just looked it up. I guess ill take my transfercase apart and see if its shot. Then if its not ill put that in. I leave may 3rd for the army so idk if ill have time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
good luck man just purchased a new one for mine because there were no used ones to find and the parts were close enough with the dealer warranty to get it there....3 years 100k miles parts and labor! i had 950 dollars worth of trashed parts and then another 250 for a new yoke and u-joint....so figured might just cut time short and get new one...i would still recommend tearing it apart and adding up the parts...maybe you will get lucky...before you start look up instructions on how to replace pump first....the rear bearing that has an external clip is a little tricky to get out....take out speed sensor and the rubber plug...my external clip was busted so i used vise grips and ripped it out...either way makes it tons easier to get out....and it is the correct way...pm me if you need help drivetrain.com was a god place... a local trans place had all my parts in stock....except the yoke...good luck!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright guys thanks for the help! Im gonna take it out today or tomorrow and see what is going on. Ill probably have to take the transfercase in somewhere cuz i got no idea how to tell what needs replaced and what doesnt. getting it out for me is hard enough lol but i will for sure get the kit if i dont get a whole new case.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is this a problem with all years? Should I be installing this kit in my 09? Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Im thinkin its just 01/02. They probably fixed it so it dont happen on the newer models. But im not sure.
I just last week had my case welded and put in the Merchant Automotive upgrade kit and new seals. I have an 04' so it is not limited to just the 01/02 models. It is an easy fix if you are at all mechanically inclined so don't be scared to take it apart not much to it. Give Nick a call at Merchant he will take of you and the shipping was very fast, ordered my stuff on a Thursday afternoon and had it Monday.

·
Registered
102 Posts
id weld it up for you but im here in southern cal :ar15:gungun1
if it wer eme id make sure you internals arnt fried.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What are you guys who are welding the case holes using for fill rod. I was told the cases are magnesium and I asked my buddy who welds if he could fill the hole in my t-case but he said that magnsium fill rod is stupid expensive.

Thanks....

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can weld up the holes. I just gotta make sure nothing is messed up on the inside. does the kit replace what went wrong in the first place? or does it just prevent it? will it fix the spring that fails?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It won't fix anything if yours is trashed now. It prevents the vibration that makes the hole.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts