Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Transgo shift kit. I was expecting a bigger box. This thing is only a 4"x6" box. Then it has two baggies in there. Is that all there is to the whole shift kit?

I read the instructions, and I also found a DIY on Diesel Bombers.

http://www..com/chevrolet-diesel-tech-articles/11684-transgo-jr-install-step-step-pics-included-best-i-could-do.html

I am still a bit scared about breaking into my tranny. Is this the best write up around?

I also purchased the deep transmission pan, deep filter, new external filter, and going to put in TranSynd fluid. Is there anything else I need to do while I am doing this project? Also since I will be putting on the deep pan how much fluid do I need to purchase?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Just put mine in today and it was not to bad. Just give yourself plenty of time and rags.
Only part I had problem with is when I split open the valvebody the cone screen fell out and I did not know where it came from. Had to google that chit.

Ya thats all that comes in the kit. Pretty darn simple.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think you will need 3 gallons with the deep pan. I would get a suncoast deep filter lock to hold the internal filter in place. It's only about $20 and a good little bit of security. Especially with $40 per gallon fluid.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
i want to get one but i too am scared of busting into a tranny. the only trans ive been inside of is a bike tranny

·
Registered
11 Posts
I couldn't open your link. Did mine without any research. Later I found a write up that included which bolts to remove first so the valve body comes off as one piece. Then you can split it apart on a bench. Find that thread it will make the job easier.

·
Diesel Junky
1,107 Posts
it's not a hard install, you can get a allison manual for twenty bucks and you can't mess up. i did have the cone fall out as well but located its spot. just take your time take some pics of it together just incase you cant remember the reinstall. in all its a 3 out 5 on the hard scale for a diy'er. worst part is all trans fluid, and it takes 3.5 gallons when you go trans go.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've done the transgo jr. install twice now. First time took 4hrs and second time took half that. Just take your time and keep everything organized.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do. Thanks for the advice. What about the "relearn" process that the Transgo instructions talk about?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeap I think I am going to give this a go on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Don' t forget the Vasoline on the trim balls and springs. This assures that the parts will stay together while installing.

Don't over tighten the valve body bolts.

Keep everything clean and in order.

Recheck all connectors to make sure the are connected.

These are some tips -- and made by some when installing the TransGo Jr.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts