Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the transgo jr kit ready to be installed.can someone tell me how much oil,and tranny fluid i need and what filters i need and what tools...thank you so much,also will this improve my acceleration or 1/4 times,like make them better with the transgo jr?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Im thinking 12 quarts if i remember correctly and there is a filter in the pan and the spin on filter really no special tools

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Grab 14 quarts of fluid, it takes 12 quarts but you never know if you need more. You will need a 16 mm socket for the oil pan drain plug. 13 mm socket for the oil pan bolts and 8 mm socket for the valve body. Use a torque wrench for the valve body assembly. Torque is 8-10 ft-lbs, if you have an in-lb torque wrench, use it. In-lb torque wrench gives a more accurate torque than a ft-lb torque wrench. I did mine at 8 ft-lb since it is plenty enough to hold it together and prevent the risk of the trim valves sticking.

Vaseline is recommended to hold the ball to the spring inside the trim valve in the valve body. Read carefully and triple check everything, have an extra set of eyes to double check your work.

When you do the work, change both internal and external filters. Transynd is expensive but well worth it. I used Valvoline Dexron VI, cheaper and does the same thing.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Grab 14 quarts of fluid, it takes 12 quarts but you never know if you need more. You will need a 16 mm socket for the oil pan drain plug. 13 mm socket for the oil pan bolts and 8 mm socket for the valve body. Use a torque wrench for the valve body assembly. Torque is 8-10 ft-lbs, if you have an in-lb torque wrench, use it. In-lb torque wrench gives a more accurate torque than a ft-lb torque wrench. I did mine at 8 ft-lb since it is plenty enough to hold it together and prevent the risk of the trim valves sticking.

Vaseline is recommended to hold the ball to the spring inside the trim valve in the valve body. Read carefully and triple check everything, have an extra set of eyes to double check your work.

When you do the work, change both internal and external filters. Transynd is expensive but well worth it. I used Valvoline Dexron VI, cheaper and does the same thing.
What he said word for word!

Take your time when you did it. I needed 3 gallons or 12 quarts. Just go to the dealer and get the spin on filter as well as the internal filter. IIRC I had a inch pound torque wrench and it was 20inch pounds. :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
To convert ft/lbs to in/lbs multiply by 12

·
Vendor
10,964 Posts
I used just over 10qts when I did mine a couple months ago. There is an internal filter that can be changed. Allison recommends only changing that now during overhauls. I am the type that since I am in there and it has to come off anyway to get the valve body out, why not throw it away and install a new one.

Be careful with your torque wrench. 120 in lbs = about 9 ft lbs if I remember correctly from what the tranny guy told us. If you don't have an in lb, bower one or go buy one. I over torqued one of the valve body bolts and snapped it off in the valve body. Luckily I was able to take it to a tranny shop and have them remove it without drilling it out.

If I can help with AMSOIL fluids for your Allison, don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts