Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked one time before about getting a Transgo for my truck and I was told that it wouldn't do any good. Can someone tell me why ? Isn't the transgo a shift kit ? :help

·
Registered
686 Posts
me 2 i here its good for the 6 speed ally, but y not us 5 speeders;;lol

but then again i hear u can make our tranny the 6 speed with a few parts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Morning Bump

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
because to do the transgo on a 5 speed you would have to drop the transmission open it up and then install it. it isnt worth the hastle just for an extra 20-30 hp

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it isnt worth the hastle just for an extra 20-30 hp
How about just for the extra strength/durability of the tranny? I mean, just to make it last a little longer ?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
It's more of a cost thing. You pretty much have to pay most of the labor costs of a full rebuild and all you get is a shift kit that might help you hold a couple more hp. For most people the almost $1000 of labor and fluids to pull the tranny and take it apart isn't worth it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That makes sense, but I would be doing the install myself. Would it be worth it then ? Also, I won a deep-tranny pan, what will this gain me ?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump TTT

my message is now long enough

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
That makes sense, but I would be doing the install myself. Would it be worth it then ? Depends on what your time is worth to you ;)

Some people say it'll help the stock tranny to hold a few extra ponies, some say it won't do anything. I've never put one in first hand so I can't say. Seems like a lot of work for very little benefit IMO.

Also, I won a deep-tranny pan, what will this gain me ?

The deep pan gains you extra fluid capacity, so it'll be tougher to get the fluid hot when towing, plus the added surface area of the pan helps dissipate heat as well. Only downside IMO is if you get the fluid hot it'll take longer to cool since there's more fluid.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK. I appreciate the replies Jesse, but I need to bother you just a little bit more. Is the transgo just a shift-kit ? Also, if this is not a worth-while mod, what would be ? (other than a full build)

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Like I said, I'm not a tranny expert by any means, but to my knowledge yeah, it's just a shift kit. We do have a customer running the quadzilla 135 tune for quite a while with just a transgo shift kit on his LLY, so who knows.

IMO by looking at your sig, I'd spend the same amount of money on the AFE turbo mouthpiece instead of the shift kit. MUCH MUCH easier install too :rof

·
Registered
662 Posts
the transgo jr, increases the line pressure also the volume (so quicker) of fluid through the valve body, so the capability of quicker shifts and the clutches holding better. the allison is smart so it kinda learns with it, in the long run it wont shift much different but it will allow the allison to keep up to a small increase in hp.. i dont know if the full transgo is the same. on a 5spd you could do a full transgo and a TC, but with the labour involved its hard to justifiy not doing a fulll build IMO

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. Thanks guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts