Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard a lot of people saying that this is just a band aid and others saying that it actually helped a lot. The reviews seem to be pretty good on this kit too. I am wondering if this kit will actually help my transmission hold more power. I am not expecting it to do wonders or have the results of a full build, but will it help at all? I am asking because I am on a huge budget only being in high school. I am doing the labor myself, so paying someone is not a factor.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Trans go will NOT help the trans hold more power. It helps with better kick downs etc. To hold more power you either need more clutch surface area, with better frictions, or more clutch pressure. Both require pulling the trans and at that point you may as well do both and then some. It's the tough realization that your trans is what it is. Learn to accept that and not destroy it or pay the price and limp the trans and have a truck sitting around immobile until you can fix the trans.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just call Kyle. He can get you a kit as reasonable as anyone and he can answer any questions you may have. Trust me the guy is good and easy to talk to, not to mention he is like 15 mins away from you (419)-769-1888

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just call Kyle. He can get you a kit as reasonable as anyone and he can answer any questions you may have. Trust me the guy is good and easy to talk to, not to mention he is like 15 mins away from you (419)-769-1888

Sounds good. I plan on doing it early spring. I just ordered a FASS pump so I'm kinda broke now haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
There are two different TransGo kits-- the TransGo Jr-[made for the 6 speed], will fit the 5 speed, but does not help much. Of course it does not hurt anything either.

The TransGo SK for the 5 speed requires the trans be removed to install. It does help the 5 speed, but you should inspect the clutches [not included] and other parts while it is apart.

You should also check the transfer case "Pump Rub" problem, as it will have to be removed for the trans work.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you are pulling the transmission anyway to install it, a stage 4 build would be a better use of your time and money.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
There are two different TransGo kits-- the TransGo Jr-[made for the 6 speed], will fit the 5 speed, but does not help much. Of course it does not hurt anything either.

The TransGo SK for the 5 speed requires the trans be removed to install. It does help the 5 speed, but you should inspect the clutches [not included] and other parts while it is apart.

You should also check the transfer case "Pump Rub" problem, as it will have to be removed for the trans work.

I plan on doing the SK. And ya. I definitely plan on inspecting it. Especially the c3 clutches. And I already upgraded my transfer case half to the heavy duty aluminum one

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are pulling the transmission anyway to install it, a stage 4 build would be a better use of your time and money.

The thing that mainly kills me is the cost of the kit. 200 dollars would be way easier on me than the cost of a whole kit. You can't get a kit with a converter for less than 2 grand can you?

·
Registered
362 Posts
The thing that mainly kills me is the cost of the kit. 200 dollars would be way easier on me than the cost of a whole kit. You can't get a kit with a converter for less than 2 grand can you?

You are likely close on the costs, (IDK as I bought a used built trans and had it put in) but I would confirm that with a couple of the suppliers on here. You might have just missed a Black Friday deal, or may be able to get a Christmas deal in a few weeks instead. Saying that, if you got a full kit for $1200-$1500 would that change your mind. It would for me as I value pulling the trans at 12-16hrs (at least) of my time. I would not do it twice to save $1500 today that I would likely just spend in a year or two anyway.

Every once in a while someone sells a new in box 5 speed kit they do not need, as they sold the truck for a newer one. I've also seen a few used built 5 speeds come up for sale for very reasonable prices.

I bought my used built low mile 6speed for $2400 and sold my low mile stock for $1500. I paid a shop to do the swap $1000 plus $200 in fliud and filters so I'm $2100 installed for mine.

Look around, if your trans is not broken and have time to shop, you might save a bunch

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are likely close on the costs, (IDK as I bought a used built trans and had it put in) but I would confirm that with a couple of the suppliers on here. You might have just missed a Black Friday deal, or may be able to get a Christmas deal in a few weeks instead. Saying that, if you got a full kit for $1200-$1500 would that change your mind. It would for me as I value pulling the trans at 12-16hrs (at least) of my time. I would not do it twice to save $1500 today that I would likely just spend in a year or two anyway.

Every once in a while someone sells a new in box 5 speed kit they do not need, as they sold the truck for a newer one. I've also seen a few used built 5 speeds come up for sale for very reasonable prices.

I bought my used built low mile 6speed for $2400 and sold my low mile stock for $1500. I paid a shop to do the swap $1000 plus $200 in fliud and filters so I'm $2100 installed for mine.

Look around, if your trans is not broken and have time to shop, you might save a bunch

I'll have to start looking. Maybe I'll just sell my trans am and build the trans myself with that money. Seems like I'm more into these trucks than cars anyways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts