Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have a question. i have a 2004.5 duramax (lly) with the Allison trans, lately first and second gear seem like they are not pulling like they use to. almost like they are slipping, but i am not having any DTC's in the TCM. I was driving home pulling my 34' gooseneck and i had a torque converter shutter anytime i went to climb a hill, i live in alabama, and was returning from Texas this past saturday, like anytime the boost came above 15 psi, the truck would shutter, and loose power, but no lights came on on the dash, any ideas?
the truck is a CCSB, 4X4, does have a programmer, intake, exhaust, transfer case brace, intercooler pipes and water/meth. i'm wondering if i am over powering it, It has 130K on it, drives fine, but it shifts real hard lately when i'm not attached to the trailer.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
also, i'm looking into an aftermarket trans (aka suncoast, PPE, etc.) any pro's or cons? id like to have about 800Rwhp, that's my goal, i'm just wondering who has done what.

thanks
charles osbun

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
What level were you running your tuner on? Was the shutter only in the lower gears or does it shutter in high speeds too? Any codes when you scan it? Also at 800rwhp plan on bigger turbo(s) and a built engine along with your tranny. I run a PPE tranny and love it so far, shifts smooth and fast and puts the power down when you want it. I built it myself and ordered it from DMAXSTORE.COM, Your Duramax Diesel-Only Shopping Resource and it wasn't hard to do at all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
daword. im running level 5 on my tuner, i scanned it this am with my friend's tech 2, and no codes.... i have the stage 2 turbo from garrett, sounds like a jet engine under the hood. didnt really shudder in lower gears, my complaint is more that it just doesnt seem like it is pulling in 1st and 2nd but on the interstate, if i start climbing a hill while it is in lock-up, it will shutter, and loose power. on the way to TX on friday night, climbing hills, it would act like it was pushing through the torque converter, such as , rev up, boost roll in, start to slip. and i would take it outta cruise to keep it from completely overpowering the trans. i know i am around the limit to my current trans, but should i just go ahead and pull it and rebuild, or try to baby her some more?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump*

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Sounds like a built tranny is in your future... you should be doing that first before you start playing around with different turbos.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yeah with a larger turbo your stock tranny is way past it's kill point. You need to look into built trannys because a stock tranny will not hold up to that abuse

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gr8shot, Daword, i agree, i am just trying to fidgure out which kit yall would recommend. 90% of my trucks driving is around town, as a DD. But the 10%, it is hooked to a heavy load (greater than 15K) and hauling trail rigs to the trail, or pulling the boat to the lake. or hauling dirt/sand/ what ever my mom needs moved. I have a 34' gooseneck deckover, and a 50' car hauler. I pull them pretty regular, and i am wondering which kit. I know i need to either have one built, or buy one already built, just wonding what everyone has. I'm suprised my trans has held-up this long.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
We use suncoast kits and the ml precision converter in almost every tranny we build. So that'd be my recommendation. We can also ship you a built tranny too if you'd like.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Registered
263 Posts
where are you at in alamama, i need to know about a good allsion shop just for my future benniftt anyway

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scott, im in irondale. just east of birmingham. congrats on the new baby girl. are you in alabama also? where?

·
Registered
263 Posts
boaz alabama not far from gasden

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, cool. are theyre any meets up there by you for duramax? there are a few guys down here by me that have them. every now and then we get together, have a few beers, and hang-out

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Ppe and suncoast are both good transmissions. Efi live would benigit you better than that ppe but I'm just suggesting it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mack, yea i know, efi would be better, i got a deal on the ppe tuner that i have.

·
Registered
263 Posts
there is a truck pull in tanner alabama, or steel drag stripe in birmingham alabama.
thats prety nice

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, she finally died, on the way home from the lake on sunday night, went to merge onto the highway, and went limp-in. oh well. here comes the stage 5 trans. scott. pm me the info on the truckpull in tanner, id like to come watch or take part in. when i get my trans, im gonna try to hit up steel, see what my truck can really do. we'll see.
thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
scott, im headed to steele this friday, if you're able to come-on down, im trying to get a few more rigs down there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts