Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Bad news. It's time for me to part ways with my baby. I will be trading in or selling my 07 Duramax (classic) within the next month or two. She's got 160,000 miles on her so there are some things I need to do to get her in shape to sell.

She doesn't shift like she used to so I figured the cheapest thing I can try to improve it a little without spending major cash is to swap the internal filter, external filter, gasket, and trans fluid (this made a world of difference on my buddies Dmax with 200,000 miles). As far as I know it's been a long time since even an external filter swap has been done on my truck (I know I should be beaten up). And I know the fluid has never been fully exchanged. I didn't buy the truck new. I know some think that the internal filter should be ok but there is some leaking going on around the pan gasket so I figured while I got it off I will go ahead and swap the internal sump. I am going to use the "HOOT Method" to do a complete exchange of the fluid.

Here's my question. I know everyone who has a brain on this forum recommends genuine Allison parts and Transynd fluid. However, It's imperative to get this little project done in the next two or three days and there is not a Allison shop accessible. So would any Dextrol IV fluid that I can get at napa or auto zone be sufficient? What readily available brands for the filters and fluid would you recommend? It would save me some time and money on a truck that won't be mine for very much longer. I would do it the right way if I were keeping the truck :( Thanks guys.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Of course the Allison filter is cheap if you buy online, but I understand your time constraints.. For these filter items you should be able to get something along the lines of a WIX filter at your local parts houses. I would recommend car quest or a neighborhood shop over auto zone or oreilleys. As far as the trans fluid, check into the Dextron VI as I believe that is the synthetic version.
--Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts