Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what appears to be a transmission fluid leak. small red puddle underneath the transmission. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like it is at the back of the trans, where the drive shaft comes out. I check fluid on a regular basis, and it is only down a small amount every 2 weeks..not a major leak but was wondering what you guys think the issue is.. I will have to take a closer look when is a little nicer out. but any input on what it is would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine just did the same thing on the same side....it only seemed to leak when it was in tow haul pulling a trailer and when the trans temp was up over 200....i got the temps down and took weight off trailer and drove it 500 miles but it was dark when i got home so im not sure if it leaked anymore....let me know where u find urs from so i can check mine out

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
908 Posts
By back of the trans, do you mean back of the transfer case at the rear drive shaft or in between the transmission and transfer case?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The leak appears to be coming from between the transmission and transfer case... I'm guessing pump rub issue, can someone let me know if they think that's what it is and how I go about fixing it now and an estimated cost?! Thanks and elaborate on what exactly the "pump rub" is?? Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
What shape is your drive shaft universal in? Mine were bad and before I could change them I broke the adapter between the transmission and transfer case. It is a weak spot on this year and will sometimes leak a little before it cracks completely like mine did. Very expensive to replace part is $500 from dealer and you have to take the transmission out to replace. Any vibration at all from universals they should be replaced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The transmission leak I had ended up being, the gasket on the pan was wore out and the fluid would run down to the lowest point on the pain and drip off from there, making the leak appear like it was coming from somewhere else, I took it in and had the gasket replaced as well as the 2 trans filters and all new fluid, 250$ or so with labor and she is shift smooth with no leaks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The leak appears to be coming from between the transmission and transfer case... I'm guessing pump rub issue, can someone let me know if they think that's what it is and how I go about fixing it now and an estimated cost?! Thanks and elaborate on what exactly the "pump rub" is?? Thanks
Here's a good write up on the pump rub issue:
http://www.merchant-automotive.com/tech/tcp.pdf

I recommend getting the kit even if you don't notice a problem related to it currently for preventative maintenance. Its only a matter of time.

The merchant kit is $75 with gasket/sealer, but its a nice thick plate. I went that route rather than the Kennedy kit which is not as thick. In any case, the rub issue will be gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts